Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista to xp question

• Please log in to reply

AlienaVale

AlienaVale

• Pip
  • 1 posts
One of my husbands friends bought a laptop (HP Compaq 6720S) recently that came with Vista Business loaded. He gave it to me because SP1 started to self install causing the laptop to not boot due to missing files. I recovered the laptop (just repaired the start up which best buy stated would cost 200.00 to fix). He then asked if the laptop could be changed to xp. The unit did come with an OS disk for windows xp pro sp2 with the application and driver recover dvd in addition to both vista disks. Is it safe/possible to install the xp os onto the unit without any issues (it is a new laptop so data loss is not a problem).

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

One other thing both os disks are the oem variety (the ones with "the software on this cd is already intalled. Fro distribution with new hp or compaq pc") Not sure if that makes a difference.

Edited by AlienaVale, 09 February 2009 - 02:02 PM.

Advertisements