Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Conferencing

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I need to setup video conferencing between the US and Canada. I have a permanent VPN between the offices, but I would like to hear recommendations or hardware / services that have worked for other people.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a polycom VSX7000 kit....really nifty if you do a lot of video conferencing...you can do IP calls as well over your VPN no problem.. of course it's a $5k setup

what are your requirements? what's you budget?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The problem is it was stated to just do it. Im sure I can allocate a couple thousand for it but we have a projector on a 120" screen that will be on both sides. We would also need cameras that cover conference rooms, not individual people. We have polycom phones in there now, so we would just use those, we just need to add video capabilities.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
personally i'd check out either the polycom systems or the cisco systems...cisco is more expensive but their creeping up on market supremacy...the Polycom VSX series is very good....the upper and mid range kits are very customizable and you can do one to many or many to many conferences as well....the systems RARELY come with their own TV/projector deal...and the room systems are capable of doing large rooms

the cisco telepresense systems are freakin nifty...makes it look like everyone is in the same room

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Since Cisco is giving us crap in our industry right now I dont think buying their hardware would please anyone :)

But now I was told to tone down the cost and find a video solution that works for minimal cost. Any other ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've actually been in touch with LifeSize Media recently...they claim to offer a much lower cost solution for individual and room sized conferencing systems...i've not gotten full pricing or anything...however a google search is showing the 10 to 12 k range

a quick search on google for the vsx7000 (like i've got) shows more in the 5 to 10k range depending on the seller....for a decent quality room sized system this is going to be the average...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ill bomb around and check it out. Thanks for the info!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Webex seems to have video conferening built in. Have you ever tried using that?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah webex is great....it's also affordable....it can get funky trying to show a whole room on a webcam though

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Now I just need some help on some inexpensive hardware. haha.