Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP will not finish starting up in all modes

• Please log in to reply

Jimmy28

Jimmy28

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
K to begin with I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop that had the Virus Antivirus Pro 2009. I followed the instructions on here to the letter and when I rebooted it will not finish starting in any mode it just says Windows is starting up. I do not have an XP cd or anything due to the fact is was bought second hand. Please help me and let me know what kind of info you will need. Thanks in advance :)

Jimmy

Advertisements

Jimmy28

Jimmy28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp

Went to above website and when I get to :

after you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (Typically number “1″). Select the installation number, (As mentioned, “1″ in most cases), and hit enter. If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit enter. You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready

and it doesn't recognize any of the commands

I was able to get into safe mode with command prompt but I'm not sure where to go from here :)

Edited by Jimmy28, 09 February 2009 - 08:38 PM.

Jimmy28

Jimmy28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well I had to send the laptop to a repair center. :) It finally fizzled out. Turns out the Hard drive was going bad so sometimes it would work and then it would crash while setting up. Thanks for the help :)