Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two computers, one monitor ,no vga just dvi connections ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all , , i have a new 26" monitor and two new quad core computers that i want to run off the same monitor.

One pc has a HD4850 graphics card with 2 dvi ports on it, , the other pc has a 9600GT card also with two dvi ports.
My monitor has only one dvi port, one vga port and one HDMI port.
I have a belking kvm switch cable supposedly for running two pcs off one monitor but all the connections/cables on it are the blue vha ones and no dvi. So far, i havent been able to find a dvi twin cable for the job , ,one that belking does is advertised as dvi, but on inspecting the cable itself, its blue vga ports , ,not white dvi ones.

Now, , one quad core pc is my internet , mail, movies and genral purpose pc, ,the other quad core pc is going to be used only as a DAW ,(digital audio workstation ) for recording music , home recording studio etc.

At the moment, i dont expect that both computers will be used at the same time and only one will be on at any given time. I have a new desktop replacement laptop that i will use when my internet pc is off and my DAW is being used.
I am using a dvi to vga converter on the daw at the moment but this means swapping over cables and lots of hassles at the back of the computers whenever i need to use it.

In the absence of a proper DVI, kvm switcher i am stumped.

As my internet pc is always connected via the dvi port on the monitor , can i also connect the DAW (with the vga/dvi converter) to the blue vga port on the monitor and have both ports connected always, , , but only with one pc on at a time, , will having both ports on the monitor connected all the time, but only have one or the other pc on, cause any conflicts or bugger up the monitor ? ? ?

Just as an after thought , , , i have a dvi to hdmi converter as well, , , , could i use an hdmi cable from the dvi port on the graphics card, directly to the monitors hdmi port ? ? ?

Both computers have their own seperate keyboards and mice , , and both also have their own seperate soundcards and speakers so sound or keyboards etc are not an issue,, , , its soley the monitor that is the issue.

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Many thanks, , , kev

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DVI adaptors can work with KVM switches allowing use of the blue cable from the monitors. And you can use them on both machines.
Using a KVM switch you don't need separate keyboards and mice, as that defeats the whole point of having a KVM switch.