Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer randomly freezing

• Please log in to reply

sic1302

sic1302

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, I've had a look through the forum but cannot find another topic with the same problem as what I've been experiencing. I was given a new computer the other week for gaming and everything was fine until last sunday. I was playing Race Driver GRID and it crashed after about 15 minutes of playing whilst selecting a car. Everything froze, even the keyboard and mouse would not respond. So I held down the power button and switched the computer off, switched it off at the mains for a few minutes before rebooting. It then crashed again just after the BIOS screen as it was loading Windows. It did this a couple of times before it would boot to the desktop. Now, it will randomly crash and completely freeze up, sometimes after being on for 1 minute, other times 1 hour. I've done anti-virus scans, registry scans etc to no avail. I've turned off any stand-by settings which may have caused it in the first place and I've checked the CPU temperature which is running at 25C. Anyone got any ideas? I've been thinking of doing a system recovery to see if that solves the problem, but that would be a last resort. Here is my system spec:

Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9400 processor
(2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit
4GB DDR2 memory
896MB NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 260 graphics
640GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)
BIOS type: AMI (10/09/08)
Packard Bell VG300 Motherboard

Thank you for any advice in advance guys

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
The Problem is with the Hardware, not your OS.
Sounds like a flaky Memory Chip.
Take it back to where you bought it, have them replace.

creepysound

creepysound

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
System Freezes can be caused by Hundereds of different problems.

If you Dont feel like taking the Computer back to the store Then:

-Check the Event Veiwer Logs (In the search box from the start menu type EVENTVWR and hit enter
Check the Application and System Log areas to see what kind of errors have been generated.

I would recommend then using google to find information on the error. You can also check www.eventid.net and input the information you see in the error and it may tell you some good information on it.

-It could even be somthing as simple as one of your PCI Cards isnt fully seated into their slots.
But check those event logs. If it generated an error, then you can narrow it down from there.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
I get the same problem on my computer sometimes when I'm gaming as well. In my case (pun intended), my graphics card is overheating. Try adding some fans or putting your computer in a well ventilated area and see if that helps.

Elster