Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Crossfire problem

• Please log in to reply

pat3380

pat3380

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,

Is anyone familiar with dual graphic cards. In January, I got a virus (problem solved thanks to Geeks to Go!) I had to reinstalled some programs that were erase by the infection. Since than the Catalyst Control Center does not see the second card.

Motherboard: Intel 975 XBX
Graphics (X2) Saphire Radeon X1650 XT 512 mb..

I ask for help on the AMD site, and they suggest uninstalling and re-installing drivers, which I did (twice) and still not working..

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
For ATI cards, you will need the full driver version with Catalyst Control Center.......you should reinstall the Catalyst Control Center.
If you are running Windows XP, you will also need to download and install Microsoft's .Net Framework 2.0. get it here...Then install the driver and restart your system to complete the driver installation..
once Windows has restarted go into your Catalyst Control Center and select the Advanced Setup option. This provides a list of graphics settings.... scroll to the Crossfire option.... tick the box to activate and your display should go black momentarily while Crossfire is initialized. Once the display returns, you should see an information box confirming that Crossfire has been activated.

Edited by happyrock, 19 February 2009 - 08:24 AM.

pat3380

pat3380

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,

I don't know what is wrong...I un-installed CCC and the drivers, physically remove and re-installed the 2 video cards. I re-installed the driver and CCC. I have the Catalyst icon but when I click on it, nothing happen...For some reason, Catalyst Control Center does not work...any other suggestion?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you also install Net Framework 2.0...
remove the 2nd video card...leave it out UNTIL you get the Catalyst Control Center working...
also go to windows update and get any Net Framework and hardware drivers it says you need...
if you can't get the Control Center working you will not be able to use both cards

pat3380

pat3380

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,

I remove the second card. Removed and re-installed CCC and latest drivers. (Net Framework 3.5 working)
Catalyst is now running but no option menu in Crossfire.

I checked many sites on the web and it seems that many people have the same problem.

I contacted ATI but they are no help.

I join a Crossfire forum and many people have the same problem. Site:AMD
If I find a solution, I'll poste it on Geeks-to-Go! and the AMD forum.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after getting CCC working... you did install the second card again...
try here for drivers...there are lots to choose from...you can try from the newest to one several generations back

Edited by happyrock, 22 February 2009 - 08:23 AM.

pat3380

pat3380

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I installed the second card after installing CCC..but CCC tells me the second card is disable...I will try to erase all drivers and CCC, and go back to a earlier version; see what it does. I saw Driver Sweeper on this site; any special instruction I should know to use it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have no personal experience with driver sweeper...could you give me the link to it on this site...

pat3380

pat3380

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,

This is it: Driver sweeper

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi,

This is it: Driver sweeper

Driver sweeper is safe, I uploaded the file. The older Driver Cleaner has been discontinued so this is the only alternative unless you can dig up driver cleaner somewhere.

Does the same thing as driver cleaner..

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I couldn't find anything negative about Driver sweeper...so give it a try...let us know if it works

pat3380

pat3380

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Driver Sweeper works fine. I used the un-install featured from ATI. I than remove all ATI related folders. When I ran Driver Sweeper (in safe mode), it found all kind a traces of the ATI drivers...So Driver Sweeper does the job!

For my problem, it's still not fixed. I re-installed a previous version of the ATI drivers and Catalyst. It tell me that Crossfire is working, but there is no menu in the Crossfire section and the second card doesn't appears..

pat3380

pat3380

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello,

I had about enought of ATI...no support and everyone seems to have the same problem with Crossfire...I tryed everything and my second card is not detected...

My motherboard (975XBX) is Cossfire compatible; and ATI does not give me any support.

NVIDIA will not make drivers for SLI on Intel 975 chipset...

Does anyone knows were I can find hacker drivers to work SLI on my motherboard or to fixed my Crossfire?

Please someone... help!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm not sure if this will do anything but try swapping the two cards around..
whichever card is in the top slot moves to the bottom and the card there moves up

pat3380

pat3380

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Already tried...No changes...