Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell won't detect IDE hard drive

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Recently my friend had a problem whereby when he started his computer (Dell dimension 4400) it just goes to a 'dell dimension' screen and has two options:
F2 for setup and F12 for boot menu
I went into setup and in primary device 0 it says there is no HD on it. I tried reinstalling XP hoping it would reinstall the HD IDE drivers again and it would work but no luck, it still goes to the F2, F12 menu. Any ideas?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
If the drive is not "seen" by the BIOS then there is a good chance that the drive has failed. (new drives can fail for no reason)
Check that the power connection is firmly seated to the drive.

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I wouldn’t say it failed, they hardly do without showing warnings of it unless he dropped the PC from a third floor or something, try opening it and disconnecting everything and reconnect it, I’ve seen that happen on some Dell sometimes, also you should try changing the power cable that goes to the hard drive in case it is the power source, also try another IDE cable to rule it out.
Try restoring BIOS to default settings also.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
While I hope that it is a loose cable, hard drives fail with no warning at all.
The easy test is to swap with a known good hard drive. (after checking the cables.)