Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble! Windows not working even after system restore!

• Please log in to reply

Icco

Icco

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been searching this forum, which seems to be an amazing help to those of us in need, but haven't been able to find a solution to this particular problem.

For about a week now I was having trouble getting any DVDs to run on my PC..not in the CD/DVD drive that came with the tower, or in the external DVD burner that I had connected..and the original CD/DVD drive has been acting funky for far longer. This week it got to the point where I couldn't even get it to pop open, and it would blink green for minutes at a time.

Last night the...stuff hit the fan. I tried restarting my computer, but when it went to reboot the blinking green light wouldn't stop. It got to the Windows loading screen (the one with the little blue boxes that shuffle across under the Windows logo), but it took exceptionally long. Next I was stuck with a black screen for about 2 minutes, followed by the light blue Windows startup screen, which also took way too long. Eventually it got to the list of names, and I selected mine. After what seemed like forever it loaded up my desktop with a few icons missing, no Start bar at the bottom, and an inability to get anywhere past the Recycle Bin (no My Computer, etc.). All the while the little green CD tray light kept on a'blinkin'.

This morning, fed up after staying up until 3 trying to figure it out, I system restored the computer, which wasn't horrendous for me as I have most of my important files on an external hardrive. I was actually a little excited at the prospect of cleaning out 3 years of use and starting over...until the sonofa[bleep] froze while I was trying to "rename" my computer. After almost a half hour I shut it off and restored it again (I didn't know what else to do), but the problem persists - I can't fix it, I don't know what to do!!

I'm at work right now, using company time to try and fix my poor computer. Would anyone be willing to help a moron out?

Advertisements

Icco

Icco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Fixed it. :)