Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I am running Windows XP SP3. I have just had this computer crash from what I think was a virus. Then I managed to recover my data with Linux (Ubuntu). I then formatted the primary windows partition, so I could perform a fresh installation of XP. I inserted the CD and went through the install process with no problems. Then I used my DELL Drivers CD I got when I bought this computer to reinstall the drivers for my network adapters. Then I connected the laptop to the router with a regulat CAT5/6 cable. It connected to the internet without any problems. Then I tried using my wifi adapter to connect to my network wirelessly. When I connected, I could establish a link, but could not recieve an IP Address or a DNS server. When using a cable, I could get full connection though. I used the Network Setup Wizard (Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Setup Wizard) When I connect wirelessly, Windows says that it has "limited or no connectivity." I am using a Verizon Fios Router, and it works fine with my other computer running Windows 98. I tried using the Verizon Setup CD, but it didn' do anything but guide me through the process of connecting the cables, and power cords. When I checked the services running (services.msc), I found Wireless Zero Configuration to be set to Automatic, but it was stopped, and I was using a 802.11g wireless adapter. Tell me what to do in order to establish a wireless connection through my home network.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey edge2022,

I found Wireless Zero Configuration to be set to Automatic, but it was stopped

This will usually happen if you have third-party software trying to handle your wireless connection; do you? If so, try uninstalling it and letting Windows handle the connection.

Use Windows to configure your wireless settings
  • Go to the Start menu and select Run
  • Type ncpa.cpl and click OK to open the Network Connections menu
  • Select your wireless connection service and choose the option Change settings of this connection.
  • Go to the Wireless Networks tab and check the box labeled Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings
Launch Windows Zero Configuration
  • Go to the Start menu and select Run
  • Type services.msc and click OK
  • Double-click on the service Wireless Zero Configuration (it'll be at the bottom of the list).
  • Go to the Startup type list and select Automatic. Click Apply to confirm the changes.
  • Select Start in the Service status section and then press OK to apply the changes.
Do you have any encryption setup on your router, for wireless? If so, try disabling it for troubleshooting purposes. Often times, you'll receive limited or no connectivity because you enter a passphrase incorrectly, etc.

While connecting via wireless, please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
- Dan

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It may take me a couple of days to respond, as the laptop I have to work with is not with me right now. Yes, I do have a 3rd party program controlling my wireless connection. Ill disable it and let Windows take control. Thank you Dan, for your quick response. Keep watching this thread for my response. :)

By the way, I am not a newbie with computers. I have some experience with Linux and a lot with Windows. I just dont have much knowledge of networking. I only worked with troubleshooting basic problems and data recovery.

The router, Verizion Fios, does have encryption, I think it is WEP or WEP2. How do you disable it?

Edited by edge2022, 10 February 2009 - 08:48 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

It may take me a couple of days to respond, as the laptop I have to work with is not with me right now. Yes, I do have a 3rd party program controlling my wireless connection. Ill disable it and let Windows take control.

Try disabling encryption before you do this, since it may just be a mis-configuration issue rather than a software issue.

The router, Verizion Fios, does have encryption, I think it is WEP or WEP2. How do you disable it?

You will have to login to the router's web interface; if you can tell me the exact make and model number of the router, I can try to provide you with more in-depth steps. You can login by entering the IP Address of your router into your Address Bar, and then entering the username/password. These details are different depending on your router's make/model :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Ill follow your steps and disable the encryption. Ill have the model and make for you in a couple of days. :)
Thank you for your fast replies

I like your sig!

Text: "Out of sight, out of mind"
Translation: "Invisible, insane"?

Aoccdrnig to rsearech, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny ipmotrnat tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.