Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell inspiron 531S wont start up

• Please log in to reply

jcmx515

jcmx515

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 531S, that is a year old. Everything has been working fine up until yesterday when I went to do a restart, I get to the first screen which says "dell" in blue letters and in the upper right corner theres options to "press f2" for something and "press f12" for something else. It just stays at that screen for as long as the computer is on, and after awhile the fan motor starts working overtime and spins at high speed. Its installed with Windows Vista Home Basic. Does anyone have any insight on what might be the problem and how to fix it. J

Advertisements

jcmx515

jcmx515

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Never mind, it fixed itself, Io hooked it back up and it automatically ran so check on the drive, I think it said it was reconstituting the drive? Not for sure if thats right but it worked. Does anyone know what could of caused this? Just curious. J

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I haven't a clue but what you are describing is pretty similar to what's happening to mine...

I have a Dell Dimension E520 with Window Home Premium 32-bit. When I restart my computer it'll shut down fine but when it starts up with the first page being the DELL page the bar underneath DELL goes about 4/5 of the way then it is like putting the brakes on and stays in that spot until I push the power button (which I hate doing because I know it's not healthy for the PC) and hold my breath hoping it'll start up fine. Sometimes it does but Unfortunately for me a lot of the times it doesn't.

So, if anybody knows please help explain Why it does this and if there's a fix for it.

Thanks.

Eric