Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading a laptop

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Ok so here's the situation. My dad brought home a laptop from work that hadn't been touched since the early 2000s. It is a Compaq (don't know the exact model at the moment) and is currently running Windows 98 and has about 18GB of hard drive. I want to upgrade it to Windows XP and connect it to my wireless home network but I'm having some troubles.

First it was running without that unofficial service pack and so I installed that to be able to use my usb flash drive but when I plug it in it does not seem to recognize it still.

Second I have the two CDs that came with my home PC that runs Windows XP and I thought I would be able to use the CDs to install Windows XP on the laptop but when I pop in the first CD that installs the necessary drivers it will not complete the installation b/c it is not a Dell PC. So my question now is there anywhere on the internet I can download the necessary drivers to install Windows XP on it? I thought also I could just reformat the hard drive since nothing on the laptop is of importance. I really have no idea where to go from here.

Alternatively if I cannot install Windows XP on it I'd like to know if it is still possible to connect it to my wireless home network which is currently shared by a Dell PC, Playstation 3, and Dell notebook.

Thank you for any help possible.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Dell reinstall CD won't work on Compaq computer.
You need to buy Windows XP CD.

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
ok so if I want to install a fresh copy of XP, how can I erase 98 off the laptop? (I don't need to save anything on it)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Pop in Windows XP CD, restart, and....follow this manual: http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Zook and welcome to G2G!

Sorry to but in at a late stage but can the laptop even run XP?

It would be better to make sure it can before buying an XP CD.

What are the specs of the laptop?
If you don't know then please download and run SysSpec. Run the file > click edit > click copy to clipboard and then paste it with your reply.