Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP Dimension 4400 won't boot

• Please log in to reply

lorrel33

lorrel33

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I ordered some RAM to upgrade from 256 to 1 GB but it was the wrong product. I had already taken the original stick out so I just put it back in like it was. It snapped into place with a click. I closed the cover and plugged the power cord back in. When I hit the power button nothing happens. There is a green light on the front, the 4 ABCD lights on the back are all black, the orange light flashes on the CD-rom and the doors will open on that. The monitor is blank. There were no beeps. I got a 56K modem, wireless PCI adapter, and a sound card in the 4 PCI slots. The fan does come on and the fan on the power supply comes on. I have taken the RAM out numerous times and reseated it, changed the jumper and restarted and put back to the original config and restarted. I took out all the cards along with wires the cords that connect to the motherboard and reinstalled them. I guess the only thing left would be a shot MOBO it's an old computer so getting a new one wouldn't be the end of the world I guess.

If the motherboard is fried how can I tell? thx in advance

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Did you avoid electrostatic discharges when you replaced the RAM? It’s common for people to overlook cautions such as disconnecting and discharging your fingers before touching anything, and Chipsets are very very very fragile to this kind of discharges.
The only way I know to see if a Mobo is busted is to try all the other components on a different PC and see if they all work, I know It’s not the most efficient way, but it works that way with some components.