Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange net problem

• Please log in to reply

p0st

p0st

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Last night my internet connection screwed up and everything disconnected and when i tryed to fix it everything seemed normal now this morning it seems to be messed up again heres the details

last night i did ipconfig /release then /renew and it said it couldnt connect to the dhcp server for renew. So i tryed to go into the tcp/ip properties in the network connections and change it back the original ip and then i had to enter in dns values and i left them blank so then nothing would resolve. since this is what i wanted i put it back to resolve automaticly and then it couldnt find an ip and assigned me an ip that was reserved when the dhcp cant be connected to. I also couldnt get into my router from a browser it was saying the address couldnt be found. After some more fiddling i finally got it back online (not sure exactly what did it) and i had the same ip as my original one.

Then i woke up this morning and did ipconfig to check to see if it was still ok and my ip is 192.168.1.101 and i knew that it had screwed up again so i made a php script to just echo the ip of the browser and it echoed my old ip from last night and ever since before that. Also when i connect to an irc server it says im connected from my old ip. Now this wouldnt be a problem but i run apache and when i tryed to connect to my old ip it says it cant be found but it works for 192.168.1.101 so since this a localhost ip no one is able to view my site. i did ipconfig release -> renew again and it gave me the ip of 192.168.1.101 again

does anyone know a way for the computer to recognize my old ip again or am i doing something wrong?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello p0st,
This problem may have been caused by corrupted winsock or TCP/IP files. To reset your winsock files, do the following:
Start > Run > cmd > netsh winsock reset catalog
Restart your computer -- Did this help? If not, try resetting your TCP/IP files.
To reset your TCP/IP settings to their default, run the following command:
Start > Run > cmd > netsh int ip reset reset.log
Restart your computer -- Did this help? If not, you could try resetting your router by pressing the reset button located on the router (on some routers, it is necessary to hold down the reset button for up to 15 seconds). Before resetting the router, it may help to turn off your computer, and then following the reset, waiting two minutes before turning your computer back on.
If this does not help, then you should set up a Static IP, inserting your old IP Address as your default IP.
Good luck.