Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 Outcasted? Say it isn't so =(

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
So, I have read some threads that said 98 is not going to be supported by Microsoft anymore. Also, that AVAST is only going to support it for another year or so? Is that right?

If this is true, do i have to buy an upgrade or since I already own 98 does that mean I can upgrade for free or discount? How does that work? 98 is on my 4th computer, It's an older computer, I don't want to go out and buy an OS worth more than the computer LOL.

I just put this thing all back in working order thanks to Broni!

Basically, what are my options...what would you do?

Thanks,

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
End of support for Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP Service Pack 1

July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, including security updates, by this date.

Microsoft puts end to Windows 98 support

Any updates or full upgrades will be at your expense. If you computers are that old, they may not support the newer OSes.

Edited by Major Payne, 12 February 2009 - 08:18 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Darn, I'm only 3 years behind on that update LOL. So, if I continue to use 98 will I be easily infected? What about AVAST! are they not going to support it anymore?

Does 98 have a firewall, or do I need to get one? I noticed there wasn't a security icon in the control panel like XP. I'm a noob sorry. If I need to get one, is there a free one that supports 98?

Thanks,

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Comodo or ZoneAlarm (download), (free versions) are very good firewalls for use with Win 98. I think Micro$oft is still providing critical updates or they have issued all they are going to and these are still available.

Spyware, viruses, & security : End of Support: AVG antivirus on Windows 98/ME/NT systems

Not sure about Avast, but seems it will work: System Requirements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Cool, thanks,

Also, my usb ports don't recognize my jump drive. Is that because they aren't 2.0 or whatever or should I start a new topic for that? Is it because its windows 98?

All I'm real used to is XP.

Anyway, what I want to ask is...I just need to get them on a floppy or a cd and click on the icon? That will begin the install?

I will be downloading them and the LAN cards driver from my windows xp laptop.

I should do it this way because I have no security at all on this computer, right? Because Broni and I just reinstalled 98 on it.

Thanks,

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Been so long, but I don't believe 98 came with a firewall. I remember using ZoneAlarm. USB Support on Windows 98. USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition

You might check out the Update site and see what updates you need for Win 98 since it has been re-installed.

Not sure what you are asking here:

Anyway, what I want to ask is...I just need to get them on a floppy or a cd and click on the icon? That will begin the install?

I will be downloading them and the LAN cards driver from my windows xp laptop.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
What I'm asking is: I can download the firewall and the virus program from my laptop (xp) and then transfer that file from my download manager box to my burner program and put it on a disk right?

Or, I have an external floppy drive for my laptop (xp) that I could send the file from my download manager to right?

Does it matter that xp downloaded the program at all? I need to do it this way because I shouldn't go online without a firewall or virus protection, correct?

Gosh, I'm such a noob on somethings.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Download the firewall to a flash drive. Insert flash drive into Win 98 machine and install firewall. Or, if you have diskette drives, put the firewall install file on one and install it into 98 PC from the diskette. Then you can go online and download and install the other programs properly.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ok thanks, the usb drives wont recognize my flash drive. I will try the diskette. I will work on the usb drives later...I believe you gave me a link to update them...maybe that's all I need to do.

Thanks for your help Ron. Sorry I was the Major Payne this time :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're very welcome. Never a "major payne" when you need help. Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hey Ron,

Zone Alarm says it requires at least 2000 and Comodo says Windows Xp/Vista I need a firewall for 98. Is there a free one?

Let me know and thanks,

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
98 and 98se will not recognise the flash drive unless you install the driver for the flash drive. You would have to get the driver from the manufacturer of the flash drive.

As for firewalls, there are limited programs available.
A google search is the best option.

This is what I found, and as I recall hearing it is fairly easy to use.

Sygate Personal Firewall

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
ZoneAlarm® Release History
Possibly this: Outpost Firewall FREE
Firewalls/Antivirus

Firewall For Windows 98

Most of these I never tried. I think your best best is to track down older versions and pick latest one that still supported Win 98.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I have downloaded Zone Alarm 6.1.744.001 which from my research seems to be the last one that will work with 98SE.

I also have downloaded AVAST! for the Anti-Virus, which I have been told in the past works with 98.

If all goes well, I will then try SpybotSD as my research says that still works on 98 as well.

Most of these I never tried. I think your best best is to track down older versions and pick latest one that still supported Win 98.

I didn't even know you could really do that...If I had known that, I don't know if I would have even started this topic lol =)

I will keep you updated...thanks for all the links and info everyone, appreciated =)

Edited by Ferrari, 13 February 2009 - 10:49 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're very welcome. Good luck.