Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection cannot find connections, help?!?

• Please log in to reply

sarahbb

sarahbb

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, i took a little nap today and when i woke up my wireless connection could not be found. nor could any of the others in the area. i haven't changed anything and it was working before i went to sleep. as far as i know everything is up to date. right now i am directly connected to the router. i'm not really sure what specifics i should give but any ideas would help. thank you!

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey sarahbb,

If this is on a laptop, the most common reason for that, I find, is if your wireless adapter switches itself off, for whatever reason. Look for your wireless switch/button, and ensure it is turned on. You may need to use the function keys. Ensure your adapter is on; often times the Operating System will shut down devices to conserve power; make sure it has been turned back on.

Another cause may be if you're using third-party software to connect, as this can some times conflict with Windows with unexpected results; try letting Windows handle the connection.

Use Windows to configure your wireless settings
  • Go to the Start menu and select Run
  • Type ncpa.cpl and click OK to open the Network Connections menu
  • Select your wireless connection service and choose the option Change settings of this connection.
  • Go to the Wireless Networks tab and check the box labeled Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings
Launch Windows Zero Configuration
  • Go to the Start menu and select Run
  • Type services.msc and click OK
  • Double-click on the service Wireless Zero Configuration (it'll be at the bottom of the list).
  • Go to the Startup type list and select Automatic. Click Apply to confirm the changes.
  • Select Start in the Service status section and then press OK to apply the changes.
If that doesn't resolve your issue, please do the following while connected via wireless:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
- Dan

sarahbb

sarahbb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
oh my goodness. i probably should have thought of that! i can't believe that actually didn't cross my mind. it was that my wireless adapter was switched off, by me. it's right next to standby mode and i must have hit that. thank you for the help!

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
lol

These things happen :)

Good to see all is well

Anthony19

sarahbb

sarahbb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks!

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I'm glad it was an easy fix :) And don't feel bad -- you aren't the first, and you definitely won't be the last :)

Thanks for taking the time to post how your issue(s) were resolved; feedback is always appreciated.
- Dan