Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clearing hidden cache files

• Please log in to reply

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, I’ve typed in CD\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5
EDIT /75 INDEX.DAT. It brought me to the blue screen. Then I typed in C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRVCD\WINDOWS\DELTREE/Y TEMPOR~1 but didn’t understand replacing CD\WINDOWS with the location of my TIF folder!

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Download and run ATF Cleaner. It will automatically clean out your temp files/prefatch files/history/cookies/etc, rather then messing with all this command prompt stuff. Does that help?

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well at first I thought this had worked, but I checked it again, and everything was still there. I cleared my tep IE files, and used the program you said, but when I typed in the comand again, there was still gobbly goop on the blue screen?

Edited by Mr.steve99, 13 February 2009 - 10:34 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok I'v cleared my browser files, but when I use run command and type in CD\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5
EDIT /75 INDEX.DAT it brings up a blue screen and it still lists all the web sights I'v been to. I was told this eats up a lot of memory! I then tried typing in C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRVCD\WINDOWSDELTREE/Y TEMPOR~1 but didn't understand the part of replacing the "CD\WINDOWS" part with the path to them?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One more time....what are you trying to accomplish? Delete index.dat files?

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes. Slack files! The garbage that comes up when you type in the command CD\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5
EDIT /75 INDEX.DAT.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Download, and install CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner....download/builds. Get "Slim" version.
It'll take care of index.dat files.

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, that didn't work. Ok the edit/75 index.dat window opens up and there was still a bunh of junk on it? Any outhe help? Thank you.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts

Index.dat files can be very hard to find. If you are in Windows, even with "Show hidden files and folders" enabled, index.dat files are not visible and cannot be found if you do a search for index.dat files. The reason that these files are so invisible is that they are not just hidden, they have been designated as "system" files. System files and folders are treated differently in DOS and Windows and are effectively cloaked from casual searches.

Index.dat files are always being used by windows system, you can not delete index.dag files manually, and even you clear Temporary Internet Files on Internet Option of Internet Explorer, it will not delete index.dat files.

Index.dat files
There are three index.dat files used by Internet Explorer, MSN Explorer, AOL Explorer and Maxthon:
history index.dat
cookies index.dat
Temporary Internet Files index.dat

Index.dat files are used by Internet Explorer, MSN Explorer, AOL Explorer and Maxthon to store Internet history, Temporary Internet Files, cookies and other information about your Internet activity. Although index.dat files are useful, they can compromise your privacy as any person who has some knowledge about index.dat files and has access to your computer can see the history of your Internet activities. Index.dat files are system files and they can't be deleted manually as they are used by Windows all the time (index.dat files are locked by Windows). Their content is not deleted even if you clear browser history, Temporary Internet Files and cookies.

It will be very difficult to completely erase all history and tracks. The files are negligible in size to the overall operation of the computer. They are used to help load the web pages again when you visit the site.
If you do a lot of surfing, then you will have to delete them quite frequently. If you think they will help with memory, maybe they will, but there are other ways to approach this. Thiy is to install more memory, or find out if something else is chewing it up.

If you are trying to clear the history to leave no tracks, then that is a different story. If you are going to the questionable sites, then you are taking a major risk in malware, spyware, and virus's.

There are programs that state they will clear all history, but I have not tried any (other than Ccleaner).

HERE IS ONE

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Index.dat Suite: http://www.softpedia...dat-Suite.shtml
I used this one myself.
You have to remember, that while on internet, new entries will be created all the time.