Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network printer won't work on one computer

• Please log in to reply

kathv

kathv

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
http://www.geekstogo...t/whistling.gif

Hello! Geeks to Go.

We have 2 computers and three accounts. From my old computer in my study I can print. But nothing prints from our laptop although it looks like the printer is installed. It's really been a problem. The laptop is a sony viao with windows xp. the old one is a dell with word 2003 (this one prints). Can anyone help???

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
What type of printer? Is it connected to the Dell?

kathv

kathv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
It is a HP Deskjet 5550 and it's connected to the Dell and supposedly to the Vaio. The Dell computer prints but the laptop does not. Thanks for your response :)

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello kathv

Does the Laptop Recognise the HP Deskjet 5550 printer ???

you can check this via the device manager and see if it is listed there , and while you are there you can check if the device is working correctly...

Hold down Windows key on the keyboard ( with windows logo ) then press the pause break key
A window called "System Properties "should pop up , select the "Hardware "tab and click on "Device Manager "

Report back any problems found... ( Yellow Exclamation marks or a question mark beside any of the devices)

Good luck

And Happy computing

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 13 February 2009 - 09:08 PM.

kathv

kathv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Anhttp://www.geekstogo.com/forum/style_images/geeks/folder_editor_images/rte-emo-button.pngthony, I do not have a pause break key just a delete break key and an insert pause key. What am I doing wrong here????

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello kathv

This way may be little easier and simpler in that case..

Start > Right click on "My computer "select properties

Locate the " hardware " tab and click on that , then open the device manager
is there any Questions mark's ??? OR
Is there any yellow exclaimation marks located in the device manager ???

Hope these steps help...

Good luck

Anthony19

Please report back your findings

Edited by Anthony19, 14 February 2009 - 10:26 PM.

kathv

kathv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Anthony, thanks so much for your help and time. I found the device manager and there is a yellow question mark under audio; the file is named: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

When I ran troubleshoot on it it says cannot start; code 10. Our sound icon and all sound disappeared late Friday. Anyhoot, we don't have the disks; i don't now how to reinstall the driver without the disk.

As far as the printer situation there is no printer listed under devices.

I am so sick of this computer!!!

http://www.geekstogo...fault/angry.gif

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello kathv

Ok... thank you for response

We will attend to the printer problem , then the sound if you wish... ( Finish what we have started :) )

It sounds to be the computer is not detecting the printer at all...

Download and install this driver from : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/CO...nu-win2k_xp.exe

Hope all goes well ... Best of luck !!!

Anthony19

PS: once we have this printer issue resolved , we can proceed to fix your sound problem ( or you can start another separate topic )

Thank you for your co-operation

Edited by Anthony19, 16 February 2009 - 12:57 AM.

kathv

kathv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hi. I am Kathy's husband. I appears she failed to tell that my computer is wifi connected and not directly hardwired to the printer. Her computer is hardwired to the printer and the broadband is connected to her system and routed through a Netgear router to my system.

When trying to install the printer driver you sent us, it get to the point where it asks for a path. When cliking on any of the options given nothing happens. Th "OK" button will not light up. Everything stops there. ????

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello kathv & husband :)
Since that driver installation failed to finish...

Give this one a go: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/CO...nu-win2k_xp.exe

the one you just downloaded was Full Feature Software and Driver , however Basic Software and Driver may work

System requirements
Caution: The printer's cable must be unplugged before proceeding!
Please note: This driver has no Program Group functionality.
Description: This driver is designed for use on computers that will be directly connected to the printer from the computer through a Parallel Cable

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 17 February 2009 - 01:13 AM.