Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Startup

• Please log in to reply

Fenny288

Fenny288

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I left my computer on last night and when I woke up this morning the screen was black. This usually happens to conserve power, but it usually wakes up when I move the mouse. It didn't. The monitor is on and still backlit, but shows only black (no cursor or anything). It didn't visibly or audibly respond to anything so I gave it a hard reboot. On startup, the screen briefly shows the HP symbol (as usual) and then a black screen with a little white horizontal line in the upper left corner for a few seconds, and then it's just black. It's an HP Pavilion laptop running the XP that came installed when bought two and a half years ago.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Can you see anything on the screen when you shine a flashlight onto the screen?
Did you try to boot into Safe Mode?

Fenny288

Fenny288

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Restarted in Safe mode. Everything seemed to work fine. Then restarted in regular mode and it started fine. The problem seems to be gone. Any ideas on what caused it in case it happens again?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Ii it happened just once, I wouldn't worry much about it.
If it'll happen again, feel free to post back.