Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow running computer

• Please log in to reply

cmpt22

cmpt22

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

Your website comes highly recommended. I can tell just by reviewing other questions, If I thought I new a little about computers, I'm only beginning to apprecaite how little.

My computer in the last couple months has become painfully slow at times, especially loading up Internet no matter whether I use IE or Firefox. It also takes a long time to just load windows afetr I logon.

Based on someone else asking this same question about their cmpt running slow, I believe this some of the information needed;
Windows XP Home Edition
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.60GHz
496 MB
Used Space 53.9
Unused Space: 61.0 GB

I have no idea what I'm about to copy and paste below but it is from HijackThis.
This what was in the logfile from a system scan.

Your help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
This is not right forum to post HJT log, so, please don't do this in the future.
Malware-wise, the log looks fine, but there are few things, which slow your computer down.
1. You could use more RAM.
2. Norton usually slows computers down.
3. You have quiet a few startups.
4. Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

cmpt22

cmpt22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Broni,

I did the ATF Cleaner. Two follow-up questions:

1) you mention I have a quite a few startups. Are there any I can delete? I don;t know how to do it. When I click on the windows start menu, all programs, the startup folder is empty. How can I view what is all starting up?

2) you mention I should add RAM. What do you recommend as the best way to do that? What amount?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
2. Currently, you have 512MB of RAM installed (512MB - 16MB taken by video = 496MB). Your XP computer would be happy to have 1GB of RAM (means another 512MB). The easiest way...go to http://www.crucial.com, enter your computer brand, and model, and it'll tell you all you need to know about possible RAM upgrade.

1. I'm not allowed to work on HJT logs, so let's do it different way...
Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply, unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save As, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach AutoRuns.txt file to your next reply.

cmpt22

cmpt22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you Broni,

I just emailed Crucial looking for their recommendation based on their scan.

I have attached the autorun in a txt format.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
*** At crucial, if you don't want to wait, go this way:

Posted Image

*** We're gonna disable some unnecessary startups (no actual programs will be removed).
Start Autoruns, and UN-check following entries:

• (Default) OEM Reset Reminder c:\windows\options\oemreset.exe
  • DXM6Patch_981116 Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\p_981116.exe
  • Easy-PrintToolBox BJPSMAIN CANON INC. c:\program files\canon\easy-printtoolbox\bjpsmain.exe
  • IgfxTray igfxTray Module Intel Corporation c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
  • iTunesHelper iTunesHelper Module Apple Inc. c:\program files\itunes\ituneshelper.exe
  • LogitechVideoTray ImageStudio Tray Application Logitech Inc. c:\program files\logitech\video\logitray.exe
  • LVCOMSX LVCom Server Logitech Inc. c:\windows\system32\lvcomsx.exe
  • NapsterShell Napster Napster c:\program files\napster\napster.exe
  • NeroCheck NeroCheck Ahead Software Gmbh c:\windows\system32\nerocheck.exe
  • QuickTime Task QuickTime Task Apple Inc. c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe
  • SoundMan Realtek Sound Manager Realtek Semiconductor Corp. c:\windows\soundman.exe
  • TkBellExe RealNetworks Scheduler RealNetworks, Inc. c:\program files\common files\real\update_ob\realsched.exe
  • LDM Logitech Desktop Messenger Logitech Inc. c:\program files\logitech\desktop messenger\8876480\program\logitechdesktopmessenger.exe

Close Autoruns. Restart computer.

cmpt22

cmpt22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Broni, I apologize for taking this long to thank you. I was going to wait until I bought more RAM to give you an overall update. Your recommendations have helped and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when I buy more RAM. I didn't buy it right away because I didn't understand all of Crucial's questions and had to submit a help question that took days for them to reply. Now I need to reply back to them

Thanks again Broni, my wife and I both appreciate you getting our computer to run more efficiently,

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome, and....keep us posted :)