Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bootable or autorun cd

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
If this is in wrong forum, please forgive me. This mightv also go into more than one.

One of my computers has a virus, System Security. It has knocked out AVG and SpyBot. Also, it will not allow me to go online to any "computer security site". I can not access a site to read how-to's or do any downloads. Trying to install Superantispyware. When disk is installed, I get error message that Superantispyware has encountered an error and can not continue. To work arouind this, I want to install the program on the harddrive and run it before the harddrive boots. Question number 1 is, is that possibe? Question number 2, do I make the cd bootable or an autorun?

Dumb question, I know, but I am hoping I do not have to do a total reinstall. Too many files that can not be replaced. I know enough to get by but I am no guru.

Thanks,

tjmcs

Advertisements

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
If you have access to another computer, you might pull the HD and put it in an external USB housing. THen maybe scan with malwarebytes and or all the other anti's to see if you can get rid of this.

OR maybe try to boot in the safe mode, and try to run a scan..

There are some stubborn nasties that may be very hard to get rid of.

Also, if you get the HD in an external housing and plug in to another computer, see if the files you need to back up are available. PICS, Music, my documents.... Burn them on to dvd or cd. just in case.