Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer problem.PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

lilsweetness94

lilsweetness94

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, :)

I previously had infections on my PC and got a clean bill of health from the maleware team..

Here is the link to my topic if you would like to look over it.

http://www.geekstogo...ns-t225765.html

I also installed a new antivirus on my PC which is AVAST.

My problem now is every time I open Internet Explorer to go online it takes atleast 5-10 minutes to load, if it loads at all. Once I am online it runs really slow, or freezes. I have DSL and my internet was really fast before.

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong.

Sometimes I need to get on the internet really fast to look something up and It takes forever.

PLEASE HELP ME FIX MY PC!!! :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You still have some AVG 8 leftovers:
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll (file missing) (Link Scanner)

Your Java is out of date.

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

Edited by Broni, 15 February 2009 - 06:45 PM.

lilsweetness94

lilsweetness94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have recentyl updated my Java since the last report on my last topic. How can I run something so you can check out my system? Should I run highjack this and post my results?

I went to start> Programs> accessories >system tools but did not see a field for internet explorer.

lilsweetness94

lilsweetness94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I actually ran a highjackthis and here is the log. Just to try to speed the porcess up. PLease advise if need to run anything else or what to do to remove avg that is still left onmy computer as I show nothing in add/remove programs.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not allowed to work on your HJT log, but somehow that AVG entry is gone, so I don't know what happened there.

I went to start> Programs> accessories >system tools but did not see a field for internet explorer.

This is pretty strange.

Sometimes, an infection will corrupt some connection settings, so let's make sure, they're correct...

Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
Power them back on.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml
Restart computer, and check again.

lilsweetness94

lilsweetness94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
just a quick question. When you say if this doesn't work try this....or check again, you are referring to me trying to connect to the internet? correct??

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, see, if IE opening, loading pages is faster.

lilsweetness94

lilsweetness94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
well I tried all of them and no luck. IE page freezes when i click on it to open and takes a while to even show progress of opening. :)
Once IE is opened it runs ok.

Edited by lilsweetness94, 17 February 2009 - 12:51 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
See, how Firefox will do.

lilsweetness94

lilsweetness94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
what is foxfire? I don't think i have this.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello lilsweetness94

Firefox is a well known , suggested Web Browser , such as IE , Opera and many others... :)
And Thank's to Kelvin for donating his time to Make a "How To Use Guide and Tutorial " on making Firefox Faster !
Can be Found here: http://www.geekstogo...er-t177375.html

Give it ago, sounds to me you have more problems then just bad/slow connection
Firefox can be found here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
BTW: you can scroll down to "See How We Stack Up "and see the benefits over IE , but we are not going to make this a " Bash IE thread... " :)

Best of luck !

Anthony19

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

You can start Internet Explorer with no add-ons by going to Start>Run and typing in (or copying and pasting in) the following:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

lilsweetness94

lilsweetness94

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok i tried the firefox and it takes just as long to open. I did notice in my add/remove programs I have an "ASK.com toolbar" that will not let me remove it. I treid over and over. it askes me to click yes to close internet to remove and i click yes and it just sits there. Can that possible be my problem? I do not have any tool bars on my IE.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I did notice in my add/remove programs I have an "ASK.com toolbar" that will not let me remove it.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).