Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

youngest78

youngest78

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
I wondered if anybody might be able to help with a rather vague problem I’ve got. I have the internet on my laptop at home, it’s provided by a modem by Virgin media broadband. My connection has always been fine. Until the other night, when my girlfriend used it to scan some images in. I awoke on Saturday to find that when I tried to go on the web it just came up with a page saying ‘web page cannot be displayed’. I went through the motions, unplugging everything (modem etc, coaxical wire etc) and leaving to stand, restarted but still no joy. I then called virgin fault team and spoke to a guy in India who really didn’t have much of a clue about it, took him twenty minutes to have me typing commands into the run function and checking the settings to see if I was connected, which I was. In the end he said he didn’t know and that my explorer must be corrupted so I need to reinstall it. I find this unlikely.
At this junction, my gf decided to announce that a strange little prompt had come up when she’d tried to open an image with a program, she said she accidentally selected ‘open with internet explorer’ and it came up with something about using an alternative explorer (the most she can remember) so she just clicked anything.
So this obviously did the trick. She’s now banned, but it doesn’t solve the issue. I don’t want to have to pay £50 for somebody to come out to look at it if it’s a quick fix (which is must be for it only took one click). Thing is I am lousy with computers and I just can’t for the life of me see what to do. I’ve been through internet options dozens of times and everything looks like it’s as it should be and connected but it’s just not working. I feel a bit helpless because I don’t know what the fault is and how to do anything about it.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Let's see, if you have connection at all...

Go Start>Run ("Start search" in Vista).
Type in:
cmd
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

At Command Prompt, type in:
ping www.google.com > ping.txt
Hit Enter.

In Window Explorer navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\your_name (C:\Users\your_name in Vista)
Double click on ping.txt to open it in Notepad.
Copy all text, and post it in your next reply.