Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade OS on my older laptop?

• Please log in to reply

Big Jake

Big Jake

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Opinions? I have a HP omnibook 6000 with a 60GB hard drive and just ordered a pair of memory cards which will upgrade from 128MB to 512MB. Should be more than adequate to run this old laptop out for several more years. I'm thinking of keeping the Y2K OS as I have all the updates up to SP4. I'm thinking that if I upgrade to XP which is already older or Vista which I hear isn't very good, then I might as well by a entry level laptop(cost wise). Any opinions?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Win2K is effectively obsolete. Microsoft stop issusing updates for it effective 13/07/2010.
New Internet technologies, ways of doing things, security software etc - some stuff is about in this department but it won't last forever. Realistically XP is a bare minimum from a security point of view.