Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some advice

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Alright, so I've finally decided on most of my computer's parts... just got a few questions. Before I get to those, here's the relevant info on the parts I've (more or less) decided on:

Processor
Intel Core i7 920
Quad-Core Hyper-Threaded (8 logical processing cores) 2.66 GHz
Full specs here

Motherboard
ASUS P6T Deluxe
Memory Standard: DDR3 1600(OC)/1333/1066 MHz (Triple Channel)
3x PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots (in x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 configuration; also has a PCI-E x4 slot and 2 PCI slots)
PATA: 1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s: 6
SATA RAID: 0/1/5/10
Additional RAID Controller: Marvell 88SE6320 2 x SAS (RAID 0 and 1)

Full specs here

Video Card
HIS Radeon HD 4870 1GB IceQ4+ Turbo
Need I say more? Full specs here

First off, what do all the italicized specifications on the motherboard mean? Are they of any real significance to me?

Next, I'm having trouble deciding on memory. I've got three candidates (all have 6GB capacities and are DDR3 1600):
Patriot Viper
Cas Latency: 8
Timing: 8-8-8-24
Price: $121.99
Full Specs

OCZ Platinum
Cas Latency: 7
Timing: 7-7-7-24
Price: $154.99
Full Specs

Corsair Dominator
Cas Latency: 8
Timing: 8-8-8-24
Price: $219.00
Full Specs

...My difficulty in deciding comes from a couple of things. I do not really know what "Cas Latency" is or what exactly is meant by the "Timing" numbers, but I think I get the idea: lower numbers mean faster access times. So, from these numbers, it would seem that the OCZ memory is the highest performing. But then, the Dominator is more expensive despite its higher access times. Is the additional price on the Dominator simply for the brand name, or is there something about its performance that I'm missing that makes it better than the OCZ? And even if the OCZ outperforms the Dominator (as the numbers appear to state that it does), is the small difference between the timing of the OCZ and the Patriot memory noticeable enough to be worth the extra money?

Finally, I need to decide on a PSU and a case. I estimate my power needs to be roughly 800W, given that I plan on running two internal hard drives (one of which is solid state, if that makes any difference), two to three 5.25" drives, and of course all the fans and other little things like that. I would like a modular supply if possible. I am looking at the ABS Tagan BZ800 800W - is this a good choice? Other recommendations are welcomed.
As for a case, I am looking at the Antec Nine Hundred. It seems like a great solution, I just want to make sure that this will be enough cooling (I don't mind adding the additional 120mm fan that it allows if that's necessary) and space to fit my video card and all my drives.

Thank you for your time and any suggestions!

Advertisements

Nicolet

Nicolet

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I’ll just explain about the timings because I’m no brainer on choosing new Pc’s, the latency access times for the memory means how many clock cicles it takes for the RAM to get the data requested, I’ve seen both theoretically and in practice, that a difference of one or two numbers are really insignificant, so just go with the best quality ones instead of the ones with smaller numbers.