Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible for PSU Sata cable to damage HDDs?

• Please log in to reply

Xyrexus

Xyrexus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having a bit of a bad luck streak it would seem, and I refuse to acknowledge it's all a coincidence.

A few months back my computer's PSU started to overheat and make a smoky smell, so I got freaked out and bought a nice shiny new one off of ebuyer, it worked, I was happy.. everything seemed fine.

Shortly after this one of my three HDDs, the only Sata one installed starts to give me I/O read write errors, stalls the computer and such, so I buy a replacement 500 gig Western Digital, which has the same problem straight out of the box, and so did the replacement for that.

So I figure it's just that particular Western Digital that's faulty, I blame myself for being greedy enough to buy a 500 gig, and just buy another 250 gig, this time a seagate. I tried installing it and transferring the backup files from my external to it, and wow... File/Directory not found errors, trouble simply copying over files, and according to Disc Checker, Bad Sectors.

I can give model numbers if asked, but is it entirely possible that somehow my new PSU is faulty? But only in it's Sata Power, and this could be causing my woes? Or am I just really unlucky? I swear, before the first drive started doing this I have NEVER had a HDD problem in my life, now I'm to the point of breaking down and going insane.

Also, if it's relevant. My Motherboard is old and doesn't have a Sata Data cable, so I have a Sata Card installed, a Via 6421a Chipset one. However my original Sata HDD ran fine with said card, and as I said only went wrong after I got the new PSU unit, though I'm afraid I can't remember how long it took before it started happening.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Anything a PSU is connected to can potentially be damaged. Likewise, the battery in your car, if you're unfortunate enough to have it short-out on you, is capable of effectively disabling the entire car. No battery = no starter motor = no go.

If you think the item is faulty, send it back.

Xyrexus

Xyrexus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I intend to do so, since the last two I sent back were confirmed faulty.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much into this and searching for answers that aren't there, I guess it's time to ask for replace number four.