Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Remote Access?

• Please log in to reply

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
******My computer came with Dell Remote Access, it lets me connect to it from other computers, and connect to other computers through it using VNC as long as VNC is installed on the computer I am connecting to. Now this works perfectly on all the computers in my home network, however if i take my laptop anywhere else and try to connect to my computer back home, it doesn't work. I know there is some stuff I need to set up to do this but have absolutely no idea what to do. Any help? Thanks...******

okay that was my original problem, now i got a new one... I got my dyndns host working and remote access worked fine until i rebooted... now i get an error every time i try to connect... see last post...

Edited by oyzomagno, 21 February 2009 - 12:52 AM.

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
If you have a router you will need to port foward the ports for VNC form your external IP to your desktop of which you want to connect to. You also need to know your external IP for it to work as well.

HTH

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok... not sure how to port foward... the external IP in my case, would that be my routers IP? Or is that the IP of the network i am trying to connect from?

Edited by oyzomagno, 17 February 2009 - 04:29 PM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
external IP is the IP that has been assigned to your router by your ISP. What make / model of a router do you have, so we can help in narrowing down on how to enable the port forwarding on it.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
its a d-link wireless N

the IP i use to access the router settings is: 192.168.0.1

I can get to this screen... I'm pretty sure this is were you do it... i'm just not quite sure how...

PortForwarding.jpg

Edited by oyzomagno, 17 February 2009 - 06:24 PM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Well for Ip address you enter the IP of your desktop, Then look in the drop down menu for applications for VNC if it is there then Okay hit save settings and that's it. If not, then you need to figure out the ports VNC uses. Usually it is 5900, punch that number in both TCP / UDP and hit save settings.

Now to get your external IP, it should be listed on the status page of your router, Look for WAN/External IP : xxx.xxx.xxx If you can't find it on your router, try a web site like whatismyip.com and it will give you your ip address.

Then go to an outside network (usually schools aren't a good place since they block most extra ports (like vnc)) and punch in your external IP that you got from either your router or whatismyip.com on to your VNC client and see if it works.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok... as far as i know there is no place to type an IP address in when im using VNC... i just already have all my accessable computers in a list... whatever... i will try it tomorrow....

I set up the port forwarding like you said, however if i try to set it up for the other computers IP addresses on the same network, it gives an error saying the port is already being opened by the one I set up for my first desktop.... I have around 11-12 computers working here in my living room, i would like to set it up for all of them.... hehehe

(seriously though)

Edited by oyzomagno, 18 February 2009 - 12:42 AM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
the only way you would be able to do that is to stagger the ports and change the ports on each desktop. I haven't dealt with the Dell Remote Desktop program, But I have dealt with RealVNC which more than likely will do the same thing as the Dell Remote Desktop, just a little bit more basic.

Or another thing, so you don't have to open many ports on your router, is once your connected to your desktop launch the program on it, and connect to your other PC's I've done that multiple time with Remote Desktop that windows xp pro provides.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ah ok.... didn't know you could do that... Thank you very much!

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
On remote desktop there were a few occasions where I had been 5-10 machines deep, It just gets hard keeping track of them all since it is nested and you close out the main window and that one machine is still in the chain.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
wouldn't that be kinda slow?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
all the internal computers were on a 100mbit lan, and its comp inside of comp technically, it just can be tricky to manage. It wasn't too bad.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ah i see... well thanks!

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
original problem resolved, now i got a new one... I got my dyndns host working and remote access worked fine until i rebooted... now i get an error every time i try to connect...

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Edited by oyzomagno, 21 February 2009 - 01:00 AM.