Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Misbehaving keys

• Please log in to reply

KittyW

KittyW

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

I'm not sure that I'm posting this in the right forum or if it's anything that anyone can help with...... anyway, I thought I'd give it a go. I've been trying to sort out my mum's computer which was pretty messed up with spyware and viruses. I've run quite a few of the scans suggested in the Malware forum and they seem to have done the trick (I think!) But her computer is still doing two things that I don't know how to fix. I've no idea why these things are happening so sorry if I'm wasting your time by posting in this forum.

Firstly, some of the keys don't do what they're supposed to do. For instance, the '@' and the " are swapped over, the pound sterling sign is a # and the # is a \.

Secondly, some websites that she visits have a really, really small font size. At first the words were also really jagged but I found a fix for this on the symantec website - they suggested changing the FontSmoothing string in the registry. The jaggedness has gone but the type is still really small - but only on some websites.

I think I might be posting this in the wrong forum but I'm a bit thick about these things and am not sure what else to do. I don't know whether these problems are a result of the spyware and viruses or whether they're a completely different problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

Kitty

Advertisements

Jye

Jye

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
This might be caused as the keyboard is set for US english

To open Regional and Language Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.
The Key Settings button is available only if you have added multiple languages or keyboard layouts.

KittyW

KittyW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks very much.... the keyboard is fine now.

Does anyone know anything about the website font size problem?

Thanks again!

Kitty

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
yes open IE and then click veiw and then click font size and change it to medium.

KittyW

KittyW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks!