Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Icons, Nothing, Just desktop background

• Please log in to reply

crouchingwombat

crouchingwombat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,
I've been checking out your forum and it's pretty great, I hope someone can help me out.

I came home the other day to a blue screen and reset my cpu. When I turned it back on I did a webroot and trend micro scan.
Webroot found a few viruses and eventually shut down because of some error, trend finished scanning and restarted the computer.
Also, my background changed to some warning, you have a virus screen and a virus window kept popping up in google chrome.

So, when the computer restarted windows XP loaded up normally until the icons usually load up. Nothing, not at all. It just sits there.

I did a little research and tried a few different things...
I tried to start in safe mode with no luck. The safe mode screen just sat there, no icons, menus, nothing.
(I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del in all modes and every time a pop up said "task manager has been disabled by your administrator")
Next I opened the safe mode menu and loaded with command prop.
From there I used dos to have trend micro do a virus scan, and deleted a few viruses.
Next I tried to run Webroot spy sweeper but there was an error and it needed to be reinstalled, so I uninstalled it from dos.
I would reinstall it but don't have the cd... and don't know if I could.

I read somewhere that it was explorer that wasn't starting up so I tried to start it up from the command prop and nothing, just an error saying dos didn't recognize that command. I also tried c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore and nothing happen.

So I pulled out my windows xp cd and did a repair listed here. http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

After all was done my computer restarted and is still sitting there with no progress what so ever.

Some of my details might be off because I didn't write everything down but this is the gist of it.

I kept hitting Alt+Tab on the blank screen and once a window popped up it was titled BCMWLTRY it did nothing and had nothing in it and I haven't been able to get it back again. Also, every now and then a windows error report shows up for Google Installer asking me if I want to send or not.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it, thank you so much. If I missed any details I can probably go back and try something again to get more information.

Advertisements

crouchingwombat

crouchingwombat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
UPDATE!
Well I looked closely at one of those google installer pop ups and it had an internet link on it. I clicked that and bam a google chrome window pops up. Maybe I can start backing stuff up, but I don't look forward to loosing all of my programs.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello crouchingwombat,

Welcome to geekstogo. Due to your system was infected. I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).