Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13 wont install update

• Please log in to reply

zixi

zixi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Over the past week, I cant get this MS update to install. Even after rebooting my computer, it still brings up the yellow shield asking me to install. I click to install, whether custom or express, but it still wont install and keeps giving me this message that I need to update/install it. It says INSTALLATION COMPLETE, yet still wants me to install/update when I run the Windows Update again. What can I do? Why does it say I need to update after telling me the installating is complete??

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

/////////

Select High-Priority Updates
To help protect your computer against security threats and performance problems, we strongly recommend you install all high-priority updates.

Restore and Check Again Only selected updates will appear the next time you check for updates.

Review and install updates Total: 1 updates , 0 KB , 0 minutes *
(*Downloaded; ready to install)

High-priority updates
Microsoft Windows XP

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

Advertisements

zixi

zixi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
WELL, THE ANSWER WASNT ON THE MS FAQ, BUT WAS RESOLVED THROUGH EMAILING THEIR SUPPORT CENTER

From your description, I understand Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430) would be offered repeatedly and you have tried the suggestion on the website already. If I have misunderstood your concern, feel free to let me know.

This issue occurs if the previous components of MSXML are corrupted. I suggest we remove and reinstall MSXML components to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

=============================================

1. Visit the following link to download the utility:

http://download.micr...1BD/msicuu2.exe

2. Save the file to the computer.

3. Install this tool on the computer.

Step 2: Remove MSXML software

=========================

1. Click Start -> (All) Programs -> Windows Installer Clean Up.

2. See if you can find MSXML software. If so, remove them.

3. Restart the computer.

After that, please try to reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update.

Step 3: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

================================

1. Please download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 and the related updates from the following links and save them to the Desktop.

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.micr...1629c/msxml.msi

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB936181)

http://download.micr...B936181-enu.exe

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

http://www.microsoft...displaylang=env

2. When the File Download window appears, please click Save, and follow the directions to save them to the Desktop.

3. After downloading the MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 setup file and its updates on to the Desktop, please double-click the files to manually install them one by one.

After finishing the above steps, let's check the result on the Windows Update web site again. After the scanning process is completed, let's check if the update KB954430 is still offered. If it is not offered, we can confirm this issue has been resolved. However, if any error message is encountered during the troubleshooting, please send me a screenshot for further research.

How to capture a Screenshot:

=======================

1. When the error appears, please press the "Print Screen" key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".

3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: [email protected].

When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking "Attach".