Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Convert My FAT32 to NTFS?

• Please log in to reply

cruzerkk

cruzerkk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
I wanted to transfer a 8 gb movie to my 250 gb hard disk which has about 169 gb free space. But it shows that there is not enough space in my hard disk.
So,I did some research and found out that it is because my hard disk is of FAT32 type that this problem is occurring. So i decided to convert it to NTFS using XP command prompt. When i pass the command CONVERT D: /fs:ntfs it says: Convert Is Not Available For RAW drives.
What are RAW drives ? How Do i go about my conversion?
Also is there any chance of loosing data while i convert from FAT32 to NTFS?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well it sounds like the drive has a special partition.. probably some kind of manager from the manufacturer.... I'm not sure how likely there is of data lose but YES there is a chance... as far as converting you may have to contact the drive manufacturer or at least check out there website to see if they have some kind of disk managment software or some such...

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
As far as I'm aware, the only sure way to convert from FAT32 to NTFS is by completely reformatting the drive, which means you'll lose everything on it!!!

Whatever you do, be careful!!!!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

As far as I'm aware, the only sure way to convert from FAT32 to NTFS is by completely reformatting the drive, which means you'll lose everything on it!!!

Rubbish. XP has built-in commands which the OP is using for the system drive.

A RAW drive is essentially that - a drive that hasn't been formatted. The OP needs to ensure they're using the right drive, in most cases they need to convert Drive C, not drive D - ie, the drive that Windows is on.

You can also use the Convert command on an external drive or, if Drive D isn't formatted, you can reformat it in the same way you wipe a pen drive from My Computer.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
cruzerkk,

Be careful when you format extra partitions on your system though. If you are formatting or messing with a Fat32 partitions you are often messing with a diagnostics partition put on by a manufacture.

Edited by tuxmaster, 20 February 2009 - 05:54 PM.

cruzerkk

cruzerkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried my best to convert without formatting. But failed. So I created a backup of all my data and formatted my hard disk in order to convert the file system to NTFS. It worked.
Thanks for all your suggestions anyways.