Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

\System32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply

redlion

redlion

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
This is what is in my C:\boot.ini. file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

My computer randomly shut off over night, turned itself back on and flashed this message:

File missing or damaged- <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll

I was able to finally boot it up with my CD but am wondering if there is something I can do to avoid this happening in the future?

Advertisements

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay...looks like I have a bigger problem than I originally thought...now I am get stop errors. Again could not get signed on. Computer kept recycling itself and after about 15 tries....here I am.

I was running SuperAnti Spyware....on the C drive only...it kept flashing me a sign that there was no disc in the D drive.

I am going to post over in the malware forum.....I think maybe I have a bug.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
redlion,

Hello what are the stop errors that you are receiving?
Please provide me with everything after the STOP: This will help us determine what the issue is.

Edited by tuxmaster, 20 February 2009 - 04:09 PM.

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Unfortunately, the problem got progressively worse and I was unable to use the system at all. I had a system crash in December and had to reinstall XP back then before I could get help from this site. When I reinstalled back then, I messed it up and instead of wiping out that system installed in the same partition side by side. Needless to say the system was messed up to begin with and I think that is why I had this crash.

So...I really had nothing to lose in reinstalling once again. I reinstalled on top of the last one which seems to be working great. I had posted in the Hijack this log....but crashed before I was able to get any advice.

I love this site and realize that you guys do this on your own time, so I am very appreciative. So thank you for replying.

Now I am simply in the process of tweaking this new installation. I do have a lot of questions as I do NOT want to go through this again. I am not sure if I should start a new topic.....?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
redlion

Go ahead and post in a new topic so users can learn from your questions.