Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, I can't connect to the internet and dunno why!

• Please log in to reply

Layth

Layth

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello

I've been on this website before and you've always helped me out, so let's see if we can make it a third time!

Here's the problem.

I have a desktop (Dell Dimension 5100, Win XP SP3) i bought a few years ago. I use my laptop most of the time. The laptop works fine, the desktop is the one with the problem. It used to be able to go on the internet, but i left the country for about 6 months, i got back a few months ago and have only recently started to use it.

The wireless adapter (Bluenext adapter rt73 chipset) works fine in my laptop, but on the desktop, it connects to the router and the internet as normal for the first 30 seconds ( i can get to google if i'm quick enough) but doesn't appear to receive any internet connection at all and whatever was there at the start is now gone. I can't get onto the internet with Mozilla, IE, and nothing that needs the internet, like Skype, will work. The virus checker is out of date but still reports no viruses (AVG 7 free). If i restart the computer, the same cycle happens again, i'm able to get on for 30 secs but then it's gone again! Yet the whole while, the little icon in the tray says that everything is fine!!

So, doesn't sound like a router problem since the other computers work. Doesn't seem to be an adapter problem as it works in my laptop and other computers. Doesn't seem to be a driver problem as they are new drivers. I've not recently installed or updated anything new.

I've tried to have a look at the settings for the wireless network connection but everytime I do (and here's the weird part) i right click, press properties, the window opens up and i ALSO get the message saying:

Some of the controls on this property sheet are disabled because one or more other Network property sheets are already open. To use these controls, close all these property sheets and then reopen this one.

Now, i swear, there are NO other sheets open, this happens even after i restart the computer and it's the first thing i do.

If i right click on the wireless connection icon in the tray (bottom right) and press Status, it tells me everything is fine. Oh and here's another odd one... i can't even connect to the router by typing in http://192.168.0.1.

Any ideas? I usually know what i'm doing, but i can't figure this one out!!

Thanks for your anticipated help

Layth T

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Layth,

When your desktop can't connect to any websites, can you please do the following (you'll need a USB chip, or some form of removable media to copy the text file from the machine):
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take about 20 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • ping localhost >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Also, please restart your desktop in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can get a connection (Note: wireless may not work in safe mode; can you try hard-wiring your machine?).

Finally, if possible please connect your desktop directly to your modem and see if the issue persists.

Thanks,
- Dan

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

Thanks for the help

I've done what you asked, here are the results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAYTH

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-9F-A2-AE

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 20:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Tenda W541U Wireless USB Adapter #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-0F-B9-AA-47

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.6

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 February 2009 16:31:33

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 23 February 2009 16:31:33

Pinging LAYTH [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

Pinging 209.85.171.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.85.171.100:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've restarted in Safemode with Networking and can't do anything, wireless doesn't appear to work.

I can't hard wire it, how important is this bit? i could get use a really long cable but would have to unravel it from the house as it's being used at the moment and snakes its way everywhere! would be a bit of a faff. I will do however if it will be really really helpful.

Layth

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Layth,

It looks like your card is receiving a connection fine, from your router, however as you said, Internet connectivity is lacking.

I've restarted in Safemode with Networking and can't do anything, wireless doesn't appear to work.

I can't hard wire it, how important is this bit? i could get use a really long cable but would have to unravel it from the house as it's being used at the moment and snakes its way everywhere! would be a bit of a faff. I will do however if it will be really really helpful.

Wireless won't work in Safe Mode with Networking, unfortunately, and the safe mode test would rule out software interference. It would be nice to see if there's any difference in Safe Mode, but let's try a few other tests before you grab your Ethernet cable.
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh int ip reset reset.log
  • Once the above command completes, type netsh winsock reset catalog
  • Restart your computer.
Try to connect to the Internet now; can you? If not, please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type nslookup google.com > C:\nslookup.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file nslookup.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

- Dan

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Right, i did the first step... it still doesn't work

Here's the nslookup.txt:

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.

Here are the results from the LSPFix:

KEEP:

mswsock.dll - Tcpip
winrnr.dll - NTDS
nwprovau.dll - NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS...
wshbth.dll - Bluetooth Namespace
rsvpsp.dll - (Protocol handler)

REMOVE:

(none)

hmmm..... not looking good is it!

Layth

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Problem has been solved!! I dunno why, but here's what i did...

I noticed that the windows security stuff said that there were two firewalls running and that i should only have one. I realised that that must be Windows Firewall and Sygate Personal Firewall BUT i didn't have Sygate running, SO i started Sygate and all of a sudden the internet kicked into life!!! I stopped Windows Firewall and i'm letting Sygate do it's thing, i don't know why all this happened, but i'm glad it's fixed!

Any ideas what was going on?

Thank you SO MUCH for your help tho Dan, i was close to giving up!

Layth

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ah, glad to hear it Layth :) A lot of the time, security software doesn't actually "shut down" when you tell it to; they just kind of break your Internet connection, instead. Helpful, eh? Anywho, happy to see you managed to fix it :)

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you managed to resolve your issue(s); feedback is always appreciated.
- Dan