Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

difficulty understanding Firefox

• Please log in to reply

cloussau

cloussau

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Im asking for someone to help me interpret the page im getting from my banking logon as in firefox it doesnt look or work correctly.
I have the identical setup (firefox 3.06 with adblock and noscript on default settings) on two pc`s running win xp sp3 32bit.
On the one giving me stress I get the messed up logon screen in pic 2 and IE7 gives me the pic 1 result.
On the other pc i get the identical screen(pic 1) on either firefox or IE .

I have tried to uninstall firefox or to install older versions but this problem is persisting irrespective.

Attached Thumbnails

• firefoxlogon.jpg
  • IElogon.jpg

Edited by cloussau, 20 February 2009 - 01:40 AM.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hello :) Welcome to Geeks To Go!

It would appear that NoScript is blocking certain scripts on the page, causing the difference... Because I can't be certain, please try the following:

Go to Start > All Programs >Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

Then try to access the page and let us know if it is still acting up...

cloussau

cloussau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi and thanks for responding,

Safe mode didnt seem to make any great difference to results but I have managed to narrow down the problem significantly.
it seems the problem was there irrespective of how Noscipt was set so I tried experimenting with adblock and sure enough I was able to get the correct screen if I disabled adblock completely. If I just disabled it on that page the pop-up logon screen was still affected . I have now tried uninstalling then reinstalling adblock but it seems to makes no difference .When I reinstalled adblock it had all the same preferences from the original build so would rebooting between maybe make a difference do you think ?

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

When I reinstalled adblock it had all the same preferences from the original build so would rebooting between maybe make a difference do you think ?

Rebooting Windows? Probably not... Rebooting Firefox? Possibly... Restart/Rebooting Firefox is just closing it, then re-opening it...

I'm not familiar with AdBlock, so one of the other members here would be better at helping... I would just forget about AdBlock and find an alternative... If you know for sure AdBlock is the culprit..

Edited by piano9playa5, 21 February 2009 - 10:05 AM.

cloussau

cloussau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When you say an alternative to Adblock im not sure there is one. (suggestions please) I certainly have a high disregard for those who consider my PC as their advertising space to do with as they please. and as such will be reluctant to drop adblock .

The knowledge and understanding of running a hosts file has always looked a bit daunting and as such would be a last option unless there was significant education that came along with it.

I might just dig a little futher at the mozilla forums but thanks for trying.

cloussau

cloussau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Just a further note on this ,I investigated adblock filters and discovered I have subscribed on the offending PC to easylist USA . following this I went add-ons / adblockplus /options /filters /remove all custom filters ,thinking maybe one time I had clicked on wrong script when blocking a banner .
this seems to have corrected the issue.
Thanks for your time and maybe this is of use to someone else .

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
I didn't really help, I just have you the right idea... by accident. Your welcome though, and hopefully others will learn from this.

Edited by piano9playa5, 23 February 2009 - 04:19 PM.

Tom331

Tom331

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry if this is to late to reply but you can disable adblock for certain sites

Go on the adblock preferences
Filters > add filter
Type "@@|https://www1.membersequitybank.au" (without quotes) the "@@|" adds it to the exception list.

Also some sites will not work with firefox, there is a great add-on for firefox that should fix this though
https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/1419
After installing right click the tab and click "Switch rendering engine" and it will load the site in ie but display it in firefox (I think that's how it works :))