Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting only one drive?

• Please log in to reply

chingwithbling

chingwithbling

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I do not have much experience with reformatting my computer, but right now I have a weird problem with my computer (see my other topic) and might need to. I have two hard drives, so would I be able to put all the files I want on my other hard drive and reformat the one with the windows files? Would I be able to save have all my games intact and not need to reinstall if I move them to the other hard drive?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yes you can copy all your own stuff to the second drive before you re-install Windows. What you can't do is copy any programs or games to the second drive (well you could but it would be a waste of time because they wouldn't run). You'll have to re-install all those anyway when Windows is up and running again. You see, when you install a game/program, the installer puts some of the files in the C:\Windows folder. When you re-install Windows there's a new Windows folder created which replaces the previous one and it knows nothing about the games you were using before. You will have to re-install ANYTHING that is not built in to Windows XP.