Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux OS Laptop Issues

• Please log in to reply

Gene R

Gene R

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
To start with I am not a linux user and do not have much or any experience with it. A fellow employee asked me to look at her son's laptop, one given to her by the Federal Trade Commission as a settlement of 'Blue Hippo' case. It has linux as the OS.
When it boots up all is fine but if you put a CD or DVD in the drive a msg comes back stating it can't find a drive....

Any suggestions????

Thanks in advance....

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
What kind of laptop is it?
Which distribution is it using? (Ubuntu, Linpus, Xandros)

It could be any number of issues from a poorly implemented distro for the hardware to the hardware itself.

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
It is Ubuntu... Thanks for your reply

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The best thing about Ubuntu is their Forums. I haven't used Ubuntu in quite some time but I always find a distributions forums are the best place to seek answers and the popularity of Ubuntu makes their forums the best.

kidlat3

kidlat3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
here is my suggestion:

1. update your dvd rom firmware. you may download it from the manufacturer's site.
2. its device driver must be updated also.

those are the advices from my laptop supplier when I was having almost same issue with you.
good luck to you!