Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble installing application updates in XP

• Please log in to reply

boilerpete80

boilerpete80

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not able to install updates for applications. I'm running XP, have installed Service Pack 3. When I download patches or updates for (legal) software, and try to install them, I get the following error message:

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

I've been through a lot of the MS Knowledge Base, and from what I can tell, this problem was recognized and admitted as a Window Installer bug, but should have been fixed as part of Windows XP Service Pack 3. In my case, it was not fixed.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Boilerpete80

Advertisements