Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prolonged problem with Xbox360 ethernet connection.

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Hello,
Around christmas i purchased a second hand xbox 360 arcade, i played it for a while, very content with my new toy. However, when the time came to connect it to xbox live (i have an xp pc connected to an Orange LiveBox wich is in turn connected to the xbox via ethernet) no matter how i configure the cursed thing (trying all kind of ip adresses and mac adresses and god only knows what) it just refuses to connect.
I would be very gratefull if anyone can help me with this problem, since my friend max really needs to be taught a lesson on halo 3.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
averysadman:

Is this "orange box" a router, or a modem? If it is a modem, you may have to open the proper ports on it to allow communication with Xbox Live. It also could be your ethernet cable that you are using - could it have a frayed end, or a broken connector? Sometimes having a frayed end of the cable can cause problems. Try replacing the cable and see if that helps.

If you run your test, what happens? does it tell you it failed the test? Exactly what happens??

If you could explain further, maybe I can assist you :)

Thanks,

Brian

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
hello, and thank you for your swift reply.
this is the second ethernet cable i have gone through, so im pretty sure that the cable is ok. I think the livebox is a router. (I can happily connect to wifi with my psp)
What exactly happens is that when i have configured the ip adresses, physical mac adress and all that, i go onto "test xbox live connection" and it tells me that the xbox is "wired" (connected ok by ethernet) but that the ip adress "failed"
I have been on various sites to find what ip adress goes where etc etc, and iv even been on the microsoft xbox site and followed their step by step tutorial with no luck. I just cant for the life of me fathom the reason behind the error (story of my life)
If my psp can connect with no trouble, do you think it would be easier to buy the wireless connector for the xbox? I probably would have already, its just that when something SHOULD work and DOESNT, it really irritates me and i do all i can to find out why. (Plus the wireless thingie is like 30 euros and id rather not pay :)
Thanks again.