Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC asking for boot media, I don't have it

• Please log in to reply

Mike T

Mike T

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've got an HP desktop with Windows XP and whenever I boot it up it goes right into a DOS screen that just says

"Reboot and Select Boot Device
or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device."

I do not have the boot cd, and HP tells me they don't make it anymore so I can't even order it from them. Which is great.

The computer also seems to be unresponsive to the keyboard at startup, as I've tried repeatedly tapping F1, F8, and F10 upon startup, and it just takes me to the above-mentioned screen. F1 is for "Setup," and F10 is for "System Restore." Neither work.

So the history of this is (not sure if it's relevant): I've had this for 5 years, 4 of which it's been working and I would die if I lost my documents on the hard drive. A little more than a year ago, my internet went out at my apartment, like it often did because I lived in a crappy place. I power-cycled the modem, which according to the instructions of my internet company I was supposed to unplug the computer and modem, let them sit for a bit, plug in the modem and let is set up, then plug in my computer. My computer seemed to work fine as I shut it down, no error messages came up, nothing. When I plugged the computer back in and started it up, I got this message. I also had Norton Antivirus, all updated, and had done a full system scan like a day or two before and it said I was clean.

So I have NO idea what happened. I just want to be able to get back into my Windows.

If anyone knows of some way I might be able to get in without the boot disc and knowing that F1, F8, and F10 don't work, please let me know.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like a dead hard drive.
F1 should work, it may take a little while longer than usual but it should eventually get there.

Mike T

Mike T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
F1 really doesn't work at all. It boots pretty quick and goes right to that screen within 10 seconds and just freezes there. Any other ideas?