Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Not Working No Monitor

• Please log in to reply

oreo_hendrix

oreo_hendrix

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
well i have a hp pavilion desktop with a 1 ghz amd athlon processor etc. well the other nite i left the system running overnite and just turned the monitor off. I woke up the next morning and turned the monitor back on and burned a data cd. then just turned the monitor off. When i arrived home after school i turned the monitor back on again and my computer was froze i couldnt even use the mouse so i just turned it off and when i turned it bak on it seemed to be coming on but i had no picture on my monitor and the little green light on the front of the monitor had turned yellow. Also i have no lights blinking on my keyboard like i used too. I tried the monitor out with another pc and the monitor worked fine. i tried the pc that i was having problems with out with another monitor that i knew to be working and still the same thing. I talked to hewlett packard and they said it was definitely a system issue. it could be anything from the processor to motherboard vid card which my computer doesnt have a video card i have that onboard video thing whatever ya call it .

I dont know somethin is messed up is my bios bad or my processor dead whats wrong somebody help.!!!!

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi oreo_hendrix
Welcome to geekstogo
Some times I have found when you push the start button on the cpu on hp's that for some reason they do not make full contact and its like they have booted up but they don't. Try this hold in the power button in for like 1 min then release it. then try booting it like you would .
<_<

oreo_hendrix

oreo_hendrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok thanks for the suggestion o just tried this like 10 times holding the power button then releasing it but still no solution. i talked to hp through there email support and they told me like to remove all ide cables and power connectors and remove and reseat the memory i have done this too but no solution pleas someone help!!

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Do you get any lights on your tower? frist thing we need to find out is if this is a hareware problem or a software problem. if you get lights on your tower then it could be a video or a software problem. do you have a bootdisk? if not you can download one here bootdisks put the bootdisk in your floppy drive and bootup. did it boot in to a dos mode?
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
From your description, the most likely cuplrits are the power supply or the hard drive. Try removing the side cover from your case and disconnecting the power supply. Remove the cables from the hard drive, and try booting again. If you get a video signal, and your monitor comes on, your hard drive is probably dead. If you still don't get any video, I'd bet it's your power supply. If so, you'll need to bring it to a computer shop to have it tested, or replace it.

oreo_hendrix

oreo_hendrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok well im goin to try that thanks i have heard that it could be the power supply too so maybe thats it heaven forbid my hard drive be dead!!!!
well the person i believe it was tazz whom wanted me to make a boot disk i have been to bootdisk.com many tiems before and made boot disks from there site but for some reason when i am writing the file to my floppy it gives me some error !! i have tried making the boot dik off 2 different computers and used a bunch of brand spankin new floppies that are fine and it isnt lettin me make the boot disk anyways i am about to try and determine about the power suply and hard drive thanks for your help

oreo_hendrix

oreo_hendrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok i think i did this right i removed the ide cable an power connector from the hard drive and then tried to boot the computer and still no video signal. So if i understood you right and performed the procedure rite then you bet its my power supply i have an old computer that i dont use any more i am bout to remove the power supply from it an try puttin it in my computer i hope that works if you have any more suggestions feel fre to give them to me

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Of course, there are other possibilities, but the power supply is most suspect.

Be aware that a power supply from an old system may not have enough wattage to power this system. Also, your HP may not use a standard ATX power supply. While this isn't a problem for testing, it may require a special PS to fit in the case and/or connect to the front panel controls. <_<

oreo_hendrix

oreo_hendrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok well after spending some time lookin at my power supply and the one from my old computer they have some noticable differences in size and coneections so i dont think this job is for me

so does anyone else have any suggestions on what my solution is or a second opinion i appreciate everyone who has helped me thanks

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
For testing, just connect the largest plug to the motherboard. If you get a video signal, then replace the power supply with like model.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
you can test as admin said in the last post. I had asked in an earlier post if you got any lights on your cpu when you tried to boot it? going over some notes that I have find on hp's that I have done some work on. This may shock some but on some models of hp's they put a fuse inside the power supply. But its not that easy of a job to open it and replace the fuse I would only have a professional do this if you are sure it is the power supply that is bad.
NOTE: hp's on the restore disk does have a restore with keeping all things that you have put on after you got the system.
<_<

Edited by tazz1964, 12 January 2004 - 04:09 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

This may shock some but on some models of hp's they put a fuse inside the power supply. But its not that easy of a job to open it and replace the fuse I would only do this if you are sure it is the power supply that is bad.

It may do more than shock you, it may cause serious injury. NEVER open or attempt to repair a power supply <_<. They can store very high voltages that could potentially cause serious injury, or even death. :D

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

It may do more than shock you, it may cause serious injury. NEVER open or attempt to repair a power supply :D. They can store very high voltages that could potentially cause serious injury, or even death. :D

Admin is right this is not a job that someone should try to do it can cause you serious injury or even death. Sorry about the post on this it did look like I was saying to open your power supply. I edit the post to what I meant to say.
<_<

oreo_hendrix

oreo_hendrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey well thanks for the help this afternoon after school i am gonna try and plug my old power supply into my computer the reason i didnt do it last nite was that i would have to yank half the pc out to get to the power supply get to them 2 power connectors located on the motherboard. As answerin one of the previous when i try to turn on my computer the little processor light stays on for about a minute. Also the fan in the power supply and the cpu fan is running. so is this more than likely a power supply issue.???thanks for your help.

oreo_hendrix

oreo_hendrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is there a chance that this could be the actual processor because i have another hp pavilion desktop with an amd processor that i could get the processor chip out of it an put it in my broke computer. Also i have one more question that i hope someone could ask. I have had a power supply quit working a few years ago. and i have heard of other ppl whom have too. and everytime there power supply has just quit working my fan in the supply and my cpu fan and my cpu light on my machine work also the leds on my cdroms work and i think my hard drive is spinning too. do you think its still the power supply>?? please i can take all the help i can get.