Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony vaio laptop- w/ windows XP- NEED HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

AmariJah

AmariJah

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Greetings all! My girlfriends computer does not have enough memory and had a window pop up that there was not enough disk space. She had a pop up window to "clean up" your computer and so she clicked on it... Unfortunately whatever happened it completely changed her entire set up- she apparently lost all the documents which had been saved to the desktop- she seems to have lost all access to her outlook express email account. (In fact I cannot even find "Outlook express" in either the start menu or the list of "ad or remove hardware") And even though I deleted everything I could find having to do with MSN the computer now automatically brings up MSN as the start page & it will not let me change the start page back to Google either- every time I try it just goes back to MSN. I also tried to utilize "system Restore" but it first said that there was not enough disk space- then when I had deleted enough unused programs- the computer indicated that there were no restore dates listed in the computer at all????? I really have not idea where to go from here and whether her problems are simple because of the window she clicked to "clean up" or if perhaps there are also some mal-ware of virus problems as well??? Bottom line for her is that she does need to access her mail through Outlook Express- so I am guessing that we have to somehow reinstall Outlook Express... but hopefully there is a friendly Computer Wiz who knows a whole lot more than I do.
Thanks in advance 4 your help!!!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It appears that you might have a Malware problem; I would suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal - HiJackThis™ Logs Go Here area.

Before you post a log click on this link --> You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
this will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your Hijackthis log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

AmariJah

AmariJah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
O.K. I am now convinced that you are correct and am guessing that perhaps the window my girl cliked on must have been a "dummy" window with a harmful invasive virus or something. I tried to download all of the reccomended programs including ATF Cleaner, ERUNT, Malwarbytes and Avast Anti-virus and Internet Explorer would not download any of them. The message that popped up was as follows: "Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."
So I will go and post a new topic at Malware. Thanks!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
No problem :)