Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Could someone help me with this build please? :x

• Please log in to reply

Clover

Clover

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone :D

My husband's birthday is coming up soon, and he is like...a gaming addict...I love a good computer game now and then..but he is..omg @_@
Its even to the point where he took his laptop with us on our honeymoon cruise a couple years ago :) (hehee, i guess it comes with being a computer generation couple :) )

Well anyways.. I've been cramming for the past 10-13 hours online ( 1 nap in between @_@) - doing research on computer builds, i want to get him a really awesome computer- something that will be considered good 3-4 years down the road- playing on the max graphical settings and stuff :)

Our current computer is a old Dell Dimeion 8300, Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3.19 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM, Windows XP- with a 2600 ATI AGP video card.

It plays ok for him ( especially for me :killcomp: games like Morrowind, and Rome total war ^_^ ) but he must play on medium/low settings, and he is worried it might not play worth a darn the new games he is looking forward to coming out soon..

So..to get to the point :upset:
A group of guys at another forum recommended i buy this:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - XFX GX285NZDFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards get 2 of these.

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 - Operating Systems

For about $2,200

Is this a good build? any parts need switching? I really want to get him the very best (with in reason :P) my budget being around 2,500 -3,000 ( give a couple hundred for that ' must have' part or upgrade :P )

Oh, i also asked them a few questions about sound cards, and the video cards..but they aren't as active forum wise as i would have hoped :P

I read a few reviews that said the ATI 4870 x2 was about 22% better than the GeForce GTX285.

I planed on getting two GTX285s for SIL or SLI...whatever it is :)- but i don't know if this reviewer is bias or anything- because their seems to be a major war between ATI and Nivida..like Hitler vs Stalin type war :) And i don't want to get taken for a ride :)

Oh, and sound cards- i plan on getting him some good speakers, and headphones- but i want the audio quality to be good too :)

Should i look for any specific sound-card, or should i not worry about it?

Any help with be immensely appreciated :) .. I'm 90% noob on all this..i'm kind of like a adolescent vocabulist..just because i say a word- doesn't mean i know what it means :)

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I preferr NVIDIA.

for your graphics card i would go for this

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130442

its EVGA, same speed as the other one, and a little cheaper, but a better brand, and has a limited lifetime warranty.

the ATI 4870 x2 is only faster cause it has 2 gpu's in one card, i have had nothing but probs with ATI cards.

The motherboard seems fine to me. and the onboard sound should be good enough.

6G od ram kind of seems like alot for that price, but since its triple channel its either 3 or 6 to use it.

everything else looks good to me.

Clover

Clover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hehee, thanks Charger! :)