Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New XP for old Hippie

• Please log in to reply

hippiemind

hippiemind

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I now have Win 98SecondEdition and want to change to XP Home version /w service pack 2.

I have seen what "they" refer to as a full version and then an upgrade version at half the cost.

I am still (and most likely always will be) a novice user of computers.

I have several programs installed, but not really any "precious" files.

My Question: Do I really need to have the full version, or can I get use of XP Home by installing the upgrade version? Retired and on a limited buget, I could use the extra bucks.

Being an outcast hippie of the 60's I have always held the outcast geeks close to my heart, and thank you in advance for your addiction. :tazz:

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hippiemind, I'm still with you buddy.

The upgrade version of Windows allows you to upgrade from an older version of Windows, Windows 98 in your case, to the new Operating System. The full version is for people who do not have a previous Operating System, like people who are building a PC from scratch.

There are several ways to upgrade from 98 to XP, but the easiest way is to simply put the XP CD-ROM in the tray and let autoplay take over. A setup screen will appear on your screen in a matter of seconds. Follow the onscreen guide to setup the new Operating System.

Be sure you don't get rid of your old 98 CD!! In the event you should need to reinstall XP Home, say...after a system crash, you'll need the old 98 CD to reinstall the upgrade version of XP Home.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything else buddy. You're doing really well thus far. :tazz:

Edited by magusbuckley, 08 May 2005 - 11:33 AM.

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks again Mag................the insallation went flawlessly.........but now a week and a half later the problems have begun. Please check me out at "Old Hippies Overworking Toaster"........( in this same section.)