Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP PC to PC wireless network.

• Please log in to reply

cruzerkk

cruzerkk

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
At my place , I have Internet connectivity through LAN. Only one PC can connect to the LAN at a time. When my room mate who has Windows Vista on his Laptop connects to the internet through LAN, he creates a Wireless network to which I and my other room mates join. We are able to access Internet on all our laptops this way through Wireless.
I want to know, how to create a wireless network and Access Internet on XP?
Unlike Vista when wireless network is created in XP, it does not get detected for some reason.
Can someone please give me a step by step guidance for the same?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Howdy cruzerkk,

It sounds to me like you're trying to setup a ad-hoc network. To be honest, I would recommend that you simply purchase either a stand-alone Wireless Access Point (WAP) or a Wireless router; this would not only give you better performance, it would also make things a lot easier. If you all chipped in, the new hardware really wouldn't set you back much, since they're pretty cheap now-a-days.

However, to answer your question, please follow the steps outlined in this MS Article -- Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a Router. This will allow you to setup your XP machine as a host for your ad-hoc network, and the other machines should be able to connect through your connection.

Let me know how the setup process goes; if you run into any issues, please don't hesitate to post and we'll try to walk you through it.

Thanks,
- Dan

cruzerkk

cruzerkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am able to create wireless network between 2 computers. But am not able to access internet from the second computer. Also the article says something about Internet Connection Firewall(ICF) which i' not able to understand. Can you please help me out?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Also the article says something about Internet Connection Firewall(ICF) which i' not able to understand. Can you please help me out?

This is simply referring to your Windows Firewall setup. For the purpose of troubleshooting, I would suggest that you actually disable the Windows firewall, and all third-party firewall applications. To disable the Windows firewall, please follow the instructions in the MS Article -- How can I turn on or turn off the firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later versions?

If this doesn't allow you to connect to the network, can you please do the following on the HOST computer, and also on one client machine (please label each log accordingly):
  • Click Start, select Run, type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan