Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Up is slow...

• Please log in to reply

CWP

CWP

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey Guys,

I recently got help removing malware from Handhfan on this forum. So, I have a clean system. However, my computer takes a long time to boot up. while booting up, my icons seem to take a long time to fully load up. I think I may have too many processes running at startup. I don't want to remove anything that is needed, but could someone take a look to see if there is anything that could be removed from startup without messing anything up?

Thanks
cp

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

CWP

CWP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry...here's the info:

AMD Atholn 64 Procesor
3200+
997 MHz, 512 MB of RAM
34GB used
59GB free space
94GB total

I recently switched from Norton Suite to McAfee Security Center. I've noticed a drop in processing speed since switching to McAfee, but start up was slow prior to the switch.

thanks,
CP

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Unfortunately, both programs are known resource hogs, but let's see what you have running there...

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save As, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach AutoRuns.txt file to your next reply.

CWP

CWP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the help. Here's the txt file.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Must be invisible... :)

CWP

CWP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hmm.... don't know why it didn't attach. Oh I...I saved the output instead of exporting it...the size was too big to upload.

Here's the correct file!

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
First of all, I can see some Norton's leftovers.
Download, and run Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.syma...005033108162039

Restart computer.
Post fresh Autoruns log.

CWP

CWP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well...I wasn't able to download the Norton Removal tool. I no longer have the product key...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I wasn't able to download the Norton Removal tool

Why? What happened?
You don't need any key to run the tool.

Advertisements

CWP

CWP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hmmm. thats what I get for reading the directions. Here's the autoruns.txt after runing the norton removal tool..

thanks!

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
1. I'd strongly recommend getting another 512MB of RAM.

2. I recommend uninstalling Adobe Acrobat Reader (resource hog), along with Adobe Reader Speed Launcher, and switching to FoxIt: http://www.filehippo...oxit/changelog/

3. Start Autoruns. UN-check following entries (no actual programs will be removed):
  • Cpqset
  • Home Theater SchSvr
  • HP Software Update
  • iTunesHelper
  • LSBWatcher (If you want to use LightScribe labeling, do not prevent from starting)
  • Motive SmartBridge
  • RemoteControl (needed, if you use a remote control with your DVD drive)
  • SunJavaUpdateSched
  • WINREMOTE (needed if you use of WinDVD_Remote_Control)
  • Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk (needed only if you're graphic industry pro)
  • HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk
  • Windstream Broadband Check-up Center.lnk
  • Office Startup.lnk
  • ctfmon.exe (only needed, if you use more than 1 language in MS Office - see "*" for complete removal)
  • MSMSGS

* Download, and run CTFMON-Remover: http://www.gerhard-s.../ctfmonremover/
The CTFMON-Remover helps you removing the annoying CTFMON.EXE from your Windows operating system. The program is easy to use and displays whether the CTFMON.EXE is installed and running or not. If it was found then you can remove it within seconds. Just in case that you need the CTFMON sometime in the future there is also an option to restore the original one.
Note:The CTFMON.EXE is among other things responsible for changing the language schema of your keyboard (e.g. for switching between the German and English keyboard layout). So in case you are using this feature you shouldn't remove or disable the CTFMON.EXE!
NOTE. CTFMON.EXE is not a threat, but unnecessary startup, which can't be disabled in any other way.

CWP

CWP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Broni,

Things seem to be a little faster now. I'm also getting rid of programs that I never use. Thanks for helping me out.

One question regarding more ram...based on my current system, would 512mb be all that I need or would 1gig be even better...There's only about $20 difference in price.

Thanks again for the help,
CP

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)
1GB altogether is plenty for XP. Anything over, won't give visible difference.

CWP

CWP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just wondering if there were diminishing returns as to the amount of ram. Looks like 512mb more will be fine.

This has been my main computer for about 4 years now. Its a laptop. I want to keep it in good shape and continue to us it....but my plan is to get a powerful desktop. My wife is expecting and we want to get a video camcorder. However, the HD hard drive models out there are too much for this old laptop. Do you have any advice on what to look for in a desktop ...knowing that it will be used for video editing?

Again, thanks for all the help you've given!