Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't run System Restore

• Please log in to reply

hurricane1

hurricane1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I'm trying to run a System Restore from Safe Mode (after contracting a virus that has pretty much disabled my operating system Windows XP).

I am able to run through the System Restore wizard fine, get to the final screen and press Next, and then nothing happens -no error, just nothing.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...run...type in services.msc...scroll down to system restore service
is it started and set to automatic...

hurricane1

hurricane1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for replying happyrock.
Only just seen your reply, and in the mean time I have resorted to restoring to factory settings from the hidden partition.
It was the only option I had left as I couldn't do system restore or get online to download anything (Friday I was using the internet from work).
Anyway, everything seems okay now. I think all is clean. AVG not detecting any infections.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :)
get ALL the updates right away...check the device manager and see if you need any drivers...

dannomcc

dannomcc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem (Boot to safe mode...system restore all the way to the last confirmation screen, and when I click next...no response).

While still in safe mode, I checked services.msc and System Restore Service is "started" and set to "automatic" for startup type.

Please help.