Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to set up my First Network

• Please log in to reply

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I'll be quite honest here. I have no ideas what I'm doing to set up a working network at my house.

I found this "Westell VersaLink model 327W" from a few years ago. on the back it has 4 ethernet cable plug in spots. one power source and one dsl phone plug in spot. I'm thinking this is a modem/router combo. I don't need the dsl line since my Internet is through cable. I do have a few ethernet cables as well as a couple other plugs with a weird plug in thingy, the one end can plug into the back of my "Webstar" modem (got from my cable company) and the other end is a normal usb connector.

My good computer is a Dell Dimension E520 OS Vista Home Premium.

The other computer is a a Custom Built computer with OS Windows XP Home Edition svc pk 3 I think. I'm currently running a check disk on it, so at this moment I'm unable to go into the System to verify. I know its XP Home and I'm pretty sure it said service pack 3.

I think this is all I need to set up a Home Network that is if my Westell modem/router is compatible. I don't know I'm a bit lost and hope you forgive me for my Ignorance in the matter. Any help will Definately be Appreciated.

Advertisements

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I just got off of the phone with Brighthouse Networks (cable company), my ISP provider. They told me I didn't have to have a network. On the back of the modem there is a plug in spot for some weird cord end and the other end (USB) end just plugs into my other hard drive and that should allow me to have internet on both computers.

I have to wait til the Check Disk finishes though it's at 47% stage 5.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Eric,

The setup they described to you would still, technically speaking, be a network :) Can you please let us know if you can actually get an Internet connection on both machines once your other is finished with the check disk.

Thanks,
- Dan

countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Hello Dan. Turns out the Brighthouse Rep didn't know what she was talking about. The way she described it was I could use that cord with the normal USB end and the other end was different weird shape that plugs right in the back of the modem. Well, it didn't work. So, today I went to Wal-Mart and got a Wireless Router "Belkin" which I'm currently using it as a Wired one until I get the other Custom PC with XP fixed. I think I may be paying a visit into the Malware Forum here shortly. I've already ran the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which caught 17 nasties, mostly was MyWebSearch or whatnot and 1 Vundu. Unfortunately, I had to abort that scan. I deleted the nasties. Now I've been trying to run another "quick scan" but it's not so quick it's going on 4 1/2 hrs.

Thank Goodness, I keep my hair short. :)

I'm gonna abort this scan and try a few other scans from other programs and take it from there.

The Belkin Router works good, was very easy to set up and was very affordable at $30.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I'm happy to hear you managed to get your network setup so easily :)

Let's hope you can get the malware off your computer as easily :) Good luck :)

Thanks for taking the time to post how your issue(s) were resolved; feedback is always appreciated.
- Dan