Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A mystery! Sound issues

• Please log in to reply

smokdU

smokdU

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HEy all!!! OK, so I've read the posts here about sound issues, but mine's a little different.

I just replaced my HDD and installed XP Pro. (I had XP Home, but my "Restoration Disc" was apparently damaged, so it was unusable.) So technically, I did change OS slightly.

Anyway, I had to go to HP.com and get all the device drivers I needed, which I did. Everything installed w/o a hitch. Except that I had no sound. So I checked Device Manager and it said there were no problems, no conflicts, everything was enabled. I thought maybe I would update the drivers, which I did with no problems. Still no sound.

Device Manager still says everything is working fine, no conflicts. I uninstalled my sound card (onboard AC97 is also ENABLED in BIOS), and upon restart, Hardware Manager picked up on it and reinstalled. I updated again, still no luck.

So, my ?? is this. If the sound card is functioning correctly, as are my speakers, where is the problem? If something was amiss, would Windows detect it? As far as my computer is concerned, everything is working splendidly. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanx

Advertisements

seashine

seashine

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Can you play tunes through windows media player?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Can you hear the Windows startup sound? Tell me the make and model of your computer. Also give me an Everest Report. Click on "Everest Instructions" in my sig and follow the instructions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First if you had XP Home then Where did the XP pro come from.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Install chipset driver.