Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

G-Mail

• Please log in to reply

K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
i have a beta testing account and i was just wondering all of your thoughts on it. Liike if its safe to use or if it invades your privacy. i like it becuase of all of hte storage, but it seems like its spying on me.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There's a LOT of topics about this on the Internet. The fact is Google's computers "read" your email so that they can target more effective ads. Ads pay for this "free" service. Every time someone clicks on an ad, Google gets paid by the advertiser. Advertisers like targeted ads, and are willing to pay a premium, because they bring quality visitors to their site.

If you trust Google to protect your privacy, then there's no problem. Some people are unwilling to take that leap of faith. Personally, I don't have any serious privacy concerns about Gmail, but I'm still waiting for my invitation. <_<

K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i got mine from 'removed'

im sure he'd pass you one too

Edited by admin, 08 July 2004 - 01:39 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Actually, if you just signed up, you should be getting five invites to send others soon.

I edited out the domain name, becasue I doubt he wants hundreds of people contacting him <_<

K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
wait, if i signed up where? At the site that is removed, or G-Mail?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's part of G-mail's gradual ramp up and testing. Most people I know that have signed up for a G-mail account receive five invitiations to forward to others (usually in about a week). This let's Google gradually build up and test the system.

K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yeha, i think they have to create more spots and then they will send you the invites. If you would like one, and i get the invites in a week, just let me know

that goes for eveeryone here

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
There's a place called G-Swap, where people will swap things (ie. pictures, graphics, etc) for an invite. A lot of people will give them out for free if you just post a listing. I heard about it at the only other forum I post at. I'm not a big forum freak, so I only post here occasionally and the other.

I like gMail so far. Easy to navigate and not a [bleep] to load. Spam is almost unavoidable, so I just filter through it patiently, though I haven't gotten any at gMail as of yet.

http://www.gmailswap.com/ < gMail Swap.

K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
i have been running my gmail for atleast a week and i have yet to ahve gottten any invitations. Im wondering why

BlueBoots

BlueBoots

• Pip
  • 6 posts
You don't get invites yourself, but on the menu at the left (And I think accross the top too) it says

"You have # invites left. Click Here to invite a friend to Gmail"

So you can invite others. There is no point in being invited yourself, as you're already there!