Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hibernate issue (Vista issue, I assume)

• Please log in to reply

pumpkinskull

pumpkinskull

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

My computer is an M50VM-a1 laptop by Asus. It's running Vista Home Premium with Core 2 Duo/4GB RAM/1 GB graphics card.

It has recently(ish) started doing something very annoying- about half of the time, when I tell it to go into Hibernate mode, it quite simply doesn't. I haven't been able to track it to any new program downloads, and it doesn't seem to be effected by what programs I have open when I toggle hibernation... (I think it might have happened after downloading IE8 beta and/or Google Chrome though, because I can't remember not having the wonderful 'restore session' options...)

When my laptop successfully goes into hibernate, the display is off, all the little LEDs are off, there is no sound; if I unplug it, it does not require any form of recharging later on. There are a few issues when I start up again- for instance, Windows Live messenger is usually frozen and requires the Task Manager to get rid of- but that's not the most pressing matter at the moment.

When it fails to enter hibernate mode (which I can toggle either through the menu or by closing the laptop) the display is black, but still powered (lit up black), all the LEDs remain on, the fan keeps going, the processor continues to make noise. It is unresponsive to anything other than holding down the power button for several seconds. It will gladly stay in this mode all night long, even when unplugged... the few times I have done this, I have found it the next day either restarted and waiting at the login screen, or on the same unresponsive black screen.

If it's of any help, a general array of programs I might have open when I toggle hibernate: IE8 Beta and/or Google Chrome (both with several operational tabs), Windows Live Messenger (Plus!), Microsoft Office Word and/or Adobe Photoshop Cs4 and/or Adobe Dreamweaver Cs4, and Windows Media Player.

I have noticed that when on 'battery-saving' mode, unplugged, and with absolutely no programs open, it hibernates successfully most of the time. However, closing down all the programs is... well, the reason I hibernate it instead of shutting it down is so that I can keep my stuff open, right?

Edited by pumpkinskull, 28 February 2009 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
There is no reason, or even not advisable to run any beta programs on your main machine.

pumpkinskull

pumpkinskull

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Do you think it's probably IE8 then? That would suck, I'm rather fond of it =/

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I didn't say that, but it MAY be. Uninstall it, and see, if it helped. If not, you can always reinstall it.