Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unknown problem - OS or hardware?

• Please log in to reply

mitchb

mitchb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dell Inspiron 1720
Vista home premium
Intel T9300 processor
4GB RAM
NVIDIA 8600M GT
2x 250GB sata2 hd

been in contact with dell but they wern't much help and determining the cause of the problem.

on start up the laptop beeps and goes into windows boot manager, sometimes the keyboard doesnt respond at all so i have to restart until it responds and i can accept vista. it then will load, slower than it used to to the login page. then afew of the keys on the keyboard wont respond so i've had to plug in another keyboard and that works.

I had a similar problem about 9 months ago but was worse where the keys wouldnt work or typed other letters, i contacted dell and that turned out to be because of windows updates.

i've run diagnostics on memory and hardware and it came up with stuck key detected error. but it seems odd to me that it would have stuck keys because it just started doing all this randomly n it seems to be more than just a stuck key as its running slow.

i then checked the windows updater and it had an error and couldn't download the updates, so i then searched that code and fixed that but those updates seemed to do nothing.

It then actually started to run fine for a while, the beeping and windows boot manager stopped coming up on start up and all the keys responded but was running even slower, and then after a while it started to do weird things like open things on its own as if the windows key was being held down and when i pressed keys opened things and the computer would begin to beep and opened windows whould flash like a keuy was being held while they were trying to load.

i restored the system back to a date before all this started happening and it worked ok for a while but has not started with the beeping and windows boot manager on start up again and the same keys arn't working again.

thats about as much as i can think of at the moment, if i remember anything else ill add it, thanks for any help.

Edited by mitchb, 28 February 2009 - 07:09 PM.

Advertisements

vnvnvn2000

vnvnvn2000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You should reinstall your OS, restore sometimes get much error